Purchase Advice: Mac or PC?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by terin5124, Oct 20, 2008.

1. terin5124 macrumors newbie

So, here's my dilemma.

A good friend of mine has asked me for advice on the next notebook they should buy. They told me it's in my hands completely. My first instinct was to recommend the new MacBook, but then I started thinking about how easy this would be for them. Before you assume things, however, it's important to know:

-They are NOT tech-savvy.

-Their #1 purpose for purchasing this laptop is for viewing surveillance cameras at their business while on-the-go. It's a brand new system (I installed) and the security DVR (Speco) uses ActiveX controls. Ugh. There is no way around it except to use Internet Explorer. I am aware that there are ways to get Internet Explorer onto OS X, but keep in mind:

-Another main reason they want to use this computer is to use WinEDT, a program with an archaic serial interface. It is used to edit a digital LED sign outside of their business. You know, the red, scrolling type. It is absolutely proprietary Windows software, as is their Invoice & Estimates software for their business. Additionally, their MICROS cash register interface uses PC software, too. This computer is going to HAVE TO use Windows in one way or another. (Boot Camp, Fusion)

-Also, their past computers have been PCs, and it took them ages to figure out how to use them.

My conclusion is that I'm not going to even introduce them to the Leopard operating system at all, as much as they would benefit from it.

Here's my real dilemma:

1) Recommend a MacBook, install Vista/XP on it with Boot Camp, and just let it boot into that all the time? I feel like this is the right thing because it is such a nice piece of hardware, and they would surely get the new LED display to go along when it comes out. (Simplicity!)

OR

2) Just recommend a Sony VAIO or something comparable and let it be?

Hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance.

2. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

What do you think the members here are going to say? :rolleyes:

Edit: Just read the full post, getting a MacBook for this person would be a ridiculous waste of money. They clearly don't need it. There's no point in buying a Mac if you're not going to use OS X.

3. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

Go with the MacBook with Vista. You get to enjoy the wonderful world of Leopard and use your programs you need. You get the best of both worlds.

4. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

I was thinking the same thing.

5. terin5124 thread starter macrumors newbie

I see what you mean. But honestly, I don't know!

Using a MacBook as ONLY a PC seems kind of pointless. I love my mac because of Leopard more than anything! :]

6. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Don't force your preferences on someone else.

7. terin5124 thread starter macrumors newbie

My thoughts, too. I just don't know. Honestly, spec-for-spec, the hardware premium isn't terribly high. Maybe the MacBook is the best Vista PC, too.

8. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I would just get a Mac in case you ever needed to use OS X.
    You don't want to get a PC and have it crap out on you after 6 months (which happened with me).

And do you know what the name of this site is?
    MacRumors Forums.

9. terin5124 thread starter macrumors newbie

True. Now I'm just clueless as to what PC to recommend. I was probably a bad person to ask for advice. :/

10. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

In addition to my last post...

I finally read all of the first post.
    Now if he has the money plus some he should get a MacBook.
    But if that's all he needs it for then maybe he would be better off with a PC, just make sure it has good specs.

11. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

Get a mac. OS X is a dream to use, no more worrying about viruses, adware etc.

Also, macs keep their value very well, so it's a good investment. Not to mention, it'll last you a lot longer than a pc without constant upgrades.

12. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

Get a mac. OS X is a dream to use, no more worrying about viruses, adware etc.

Also, macs keep their value very well, so it's a good investment. Not to mention, it'll last you a lot longer than a pc without constant upgrades.

Just a note of caution: macs are very addictive. It's difficult, and for me personally, impossible to return to windows.

13. GadgetCollector macrumors newbie

If they don't need a Mac, then PC is the next alternative.

But wait!

This is completely true. Mac is a bit expensive, but you can save money by not buying more Windows computers and upgrades. If you can take care of your Mac properly, this baby will last for years. Now that's a great deal.

14. milani macrumors 68000

milani

It sounds like you answered your own question. You want to suggest the MacBook, but it's pointless to pay the premium if the user isn't going to use Leopard. I can only imagine that the gestures on the new MBs are going to further confuse your friend, especially the triple-finger right click in Windows. I'd say you should recommend a PC notebook. As to what kind of PC notebook - I don't really know, but I have used VAIOs and they're pretty high quality (although the premium is close to the MacBook...).

15. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Did the respondents actually read the OP? This person won't be using OS X.

16. cristo macrumors regular

If your friend only needs to use his laptop to watch surveillance footage, then he hardly needs a high quality pc, let alone a mac!

17. justind.clark macrumors member

Well if it took them that long to learn to use a PC then I wouldn't switch hardware on them. Macs have different keys and no right click button so learning their way around could be a problem.

Just get them an HP. Not a Sony as they are unnecessarily overpriced. I know people who are very happy with their HP's.

18. rhkamra macrumors member

re: which pc

It sounds like this person has very simple needs which only involve PC oriented work. I see no practicality in buying a mac for this, mainly due to the additional cost of a windows xp or vista license.

I would just get them a Dell Latitude. It's their business class so they are more robust and less likely to break when traveling and that sort of work. If they get a refurbished D630 through Dell's outlet store, they can probably get one for around $600.

19. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

get the VAIO. only booting Windows on a Mac makes baby Steve cry :'(.

20. mac man 007 macrumors newbie

mac man 007

Buy The Mac

Buy the MacBook. Sony computers are very slow and not the best to use. The mac will be worth every cent. you can run Leopard and XP/Vista and still have all of the great styling of an apple :apple:

21. ted.kaminski macrumors newbie

I'll tell you what you should do from a business perspective. Tell them to get a Toshiba A200 or something of that kind. It's a cheap and fairly decent business computer. Mac is at least two times more expensive and doesn't really offer them anything a Toshiba wouldn't (from their perspective).

We would all like to show people how great Macs are but believe me not everyone appreciates apple goodness. Specifically businesses - it's pointless.

22. pol0001 macrumors 6502

pol0001

Get a PC. If their only using Windows programs, why buy a Mac. Windows is in most situations better suited for work needs.

Oh .... and to the "in case you need OS X" argument: If you follow that logic you will have to install Linux, too. In case you need it. ;)

23. altair7 macrumors member

I would say that since they are going to be using windows, don't get the macbook. I'd go with a Lenovo Thinkpad X61, X200, or even the Dell 12" laptop in the small businesses section. You would end up paying way more for the macbook.

24. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Let me suggest that anyone in this thread who recommended a Mac to the OP is an extreme Mac fanboy.

To the OP: Get an HP. Look around on the HP shopping site and decide on a model based on your friend's needs. If he doesn't need much power, you can get a low-end model that is 1/3 the cost of a Macbook.

25. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

OP

From what you've said, you do not require a Mac system. Dell have pretty good systems, they will just work fine. I've still got my Dell and its sweet. There is no point in getting a Macbook and then using Windows on it solely, its pointless.

My 2 cents.