Purchase advice: MacBook Pro 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by loeschg, Aug 11, 2014.

1. loeschg macrumors newbie

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-pro

I know these sort of threads are really subjective but what the heck. It helps me determine if there's anything glaring that I'm missing.

I'm leaning toward the 2nd-tier "15 because of the video card upgrade plus 512gb storage. I'm primarily wondering if anyone could share info on how valuable that video card bump would be in practical terms, and also what you think about shelling out an extra $200 for the processor upgrade (2.5 to 2.8ghz). I was also looking at potentially getting a Feb 2013 certified refurb.

A little about my typical computer use:
    • I do primarily dev work
    • Android Studio
    • IntelliJ
    • VirtualBox emulator
    • Spotify
    • Browser (w/ a gajillion tabs :))
    • Misc other tools

I'm a hobbyist photographer
    • Photoshop
    • Aperture
    And I would be more into gaming on my computer if I had one that could handle the heat (my current "13 Macbook Air can't)

2. Freyqq macrumors 601

Nvidia GPU beats the Intel GPU in 3 things:

1. CUDA rendering (only nvidia supports it)
    2. gaming
    3. connecting multiple high-resolution monitors (can run an extra external monitor and has a ton of vRAM)

Do any of those programs use CUDA for rendering?

3. loeschg thread starter macrumors newbie

To my knowledge only Photoshop *might* use CUDA rendering. That's a good list of things to think about. Thanks!

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Ever since CS6, Photoshop relies on OpenCL more and I don't think it uses CUDA acceleration anymore.

That said, the NVIDIA is useful for other CUDA tasks like some MATLAB functions, plus gaming.

The gains between 2.5-2.8 is minimal at best, and hence isn't worth the upgrade.

So the stock 2.5/16/512/750M would do you fine.

5. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

If you get the discrete GPU, definitely use gfxcardstatus. I've caught my mid-2014 switching to the dGPU for iPhoto while on battery.:eek: I honestly never would have thought iPhoto would require a switch with as good as the integrated graphics are.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

iPhoto and Aperture use the GPU for a number of tasks so it is reasonable that it wants to use the dGPU over the iGPU.

I personally don't see the benefit of the dGPU in the uses you state. I'd opt for the iGPU only 15" MBP - that's just me though.

7. The Mercurian macrumors 68000

Perhaps the dGPU is more energy efficient ?

8. reditedea macrumors newbie

To my knowledge only Photoshop *might* use CUDA rendering. That's a good list of things to think about.[​IMG]

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No the opposite, it consumes more electricity but its more powerful, which is why some apps will look to use it.