Purchase advice requested

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by imnotatfault, Jun 30, 2008.

1. imnotatfault macrumors regular

So tonight my Powerbook G4 just died. Not surprised, as I knew it was coming. However, I was trying to hold out until the 2.0 firmware hit so when I buy my new Macbook with Educ discount I would get the free iPod Touch with the 2.0 firmware.

Now my girlfriend needs the computer for school and it looks like tomorrow I'm going to have to go to the Apple Store tomorrow to buy the replacement. I think it's ridiculous that I'll be 10 days out and I will still have to pay a 9.99 upgrade fee, especially in the face of iPhone purchasers as of the end of May being grandfathered and Apple's OSX grandfathering policy for people who purchase new computers within 30 days.

Any way I can get around this? Suggestions? Am I SOL?

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

With 1.1.3, anyone who had purchased the device after 1/1 got it for free, which was two weeks prior. You should be able to do the same.

3. imnotatfault thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info. I called Apple Store. They refuse to help (they actually tried to tell my girlfriend that everyone would have to pay for the upgrade, even purchasers after 7/11). Apple's 1-800 was just clueless without saying one way or another.

Was there any specific protocol for receiving the free upgrade?

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

Yes, anything bought on or after 1/1/2008. But they won't be able to help you until they know what's going on, which probably won't be for at least another week.