Purchase advice

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by comda, Sep 18, 2015.

1. comda macrumors 6502a

comda

Greetings Macrumors PowerPC and early intel Fans!

Guys, i know this is again about intel, but youre the most helpful here until there is a classic mac page.

My dilemma is the fact that my macbook is getting harder to use online. Since my SSD crapped out im using Lion on a 80GB drive. And right now just being on this site its running pretty warm. My issue is this machine has pretty much a brand new battery.

So what i was thinking I can buy the last model of the pre unibody macs. The macbook 5,2. Ive found some on my local online classifieds. But before i purchase this second hand machine i want to ask you guys what good/bad experiences did you have with that laptop?

My first concern is heat. Partially why i want to do the upgrade from my Macbook 3,1 which ive had since day 1. Snow leopard is slowly not being supported and it gets way too hot from the intel graphics. So i want to do mavericks with this new one. But does the 5,2 heat up as bad as this one with basic internet surfing and multitasking between windows?

So far im disappointed to learn that this machine just like mine only officially supports windows 7 32bit.. i have windows 10 64 bit on mine now but the media keys dont work nor does windows brightness. Other then that any other disadvantages?

The reason i want to get this is because i can switch my replacement SSD when it comes in this my ram and battery and upgrade to mavericks and keep using it. The local ads range between 200-400 dollars. I think it would be worth $200 though honestly. Right now im looking at one thats priced at $400. The battery is dead but apparently everything else works great. I want to offer $200 but not sure they will go for it.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome, thanks guys

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Upgrade if you like, I can't really help you with the models. I only have one MBP.

With that said, I regularly browse this forum and other sites on a 17" 1.0Ghz PowerBook G4 and a 1.2Ghz PowerMac G4 Quicksilver.

I do not in any fashion have heat issues browsing.

We are all experiencing more difficulties using our Macs online. However, other than the brute force solution of applying more CPU horsepower and additional ram to beat the problem senseless there are other ways.

Have you done regular maintenance on your Mac? Are you using an optimized form of your browser? What about the latest versions of Chrome or Safari?

You don't mention what you've done to alleviate your "pretty warm" scenario when browsing - except that you're considering dumping your Mac for another.

3. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Two words...

Board upgrade!

If you aren't scared of doing some work inside your MacBook, it's pretty straight forward and cheaper than trying to find a newer machine. Basically, you need an 09 board (early or mid only), a new heatsink and fan, thermal paste, a new SATA-based optical drive, and lastly a new 09 bottom pan. The bottom pan is technically optional, but you need to remove some screw mounts in order for it to work properly. I just used a new bottom pan because I found it easier. The parts are pretty cheap from PowerBook Medic. I got the board from MacOfAllTrades' eBay page for $30.

There are two guides you can follow, first is this link basically explains how to do the upgrade; https://www.thinkclassic.org/viewtopic.php?id=286
    Secondly, you can use the iFixit guide on how to remove the logic board for all the specifics. If you follow that, like I did, it's really easy to do, and pretty straight forward going in reverse to put it back together as well.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask since I've done it. I highly recommend it being that my MacBook works great (and runs beautifully on El Cap).

4. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

I use Firefox, and simply browsing facebook it has lag and the fans kick to full while i reach 90 degrees after a few minutes on the site. Same goes with other sites. I uninstalled flash player and that helped a tad. I also used a flash blocker and that did a lot but still. Lion has issues and this mac doesnt like it.
    I have honestly considered that. But my issue is im short on time, and could still use this mac as a desktop. I tried searching for boards but im not very good with ebay and wasnt able to find one. i tried MacOfAllTrades but not sure how to find that seller. i searched it but nothing came up. Im short on time as it is cramming homework in. If its cheaper im game, but do your temps stay nice and low giving you good battery life? If its considerably for money but not time. and what is the board doesnt work? thing is, i cant tear apart my laptop and have nothing. But help me on ebay where these parts are maybe i will go that route.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

A default install of Firefox is not optimized. Firefox by default is a pig on ram and CPU. Firefox by default is a very fat and ugly pig when using Flash because Flash is also a very fat and ugly resource pig.

The ad blocker you installed? AdBlock Plus? AdBlock Edge? Either one of those - HUGE MEMORY LEAKS.

Your issue is not the Mac, your issue is accepting the stock arrangement of Firefox.

At the bottom of my signature is a link to optimize TenFourFox. Everything mentioned in there will also apply to Firefox. And there are two options to make it very easy.

Might be worth a look. ;)

6. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I have a mid-2009 5,2 that I bought about a year back. At the time, I bought it primarily as my Yosemite "test bed" and at the moment it's running El Capitan GM.

I honestly have not noticed any heat issues with it, and I've pushed it with things like Photoshop CS6 and a few other odds and ends that really have the ability to stress the processor.

I will add that shortly after I bought it, I pulled it apart and did some basic maintenance on it. One of the best things you can do on these pre-unibody Macbooks is pull the top case(not a big deal on these systems) and remove the heatsink/heat pipe assembly. Give the "fins" a good blast with compressed air and even manually clean them if they are bad. Then, clean and reapply thermal paste.

7. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Ask, and you shall receive!

Mid 2009 Logic Board (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacBo...-661-5242-/331650280072?hash=item4d37e5aa88)- $25+free shipping

MacBook 2009 SATA optical drive cable (http://www.powerbookmedic.com/13-Macbook-Optical-Drive-Cable-p-17200.html)- $2.75+shipping

MacBook 2009 SATA SuperDrive (http://www.powerbookmedic.com/Apple-SuperDrive-DVD-Burner-Drive-8x-SATA---Macbook-p-20991.html)- $19.95+shipping

MacBook 2009 Bottom case (http://www.powerbookmedic.com/MacBook-Bottom-Case-Assembly-White-13-NEW-p-17006.html)- $15.75+shipping

MacBook Mid 2009 Heatsink (http://www.powerbookmedic.com/MacBook-Heatsink-Kit-p-17662.html)- $2.75+shipping

Total: $66.20+shipping

All the stuff from PBM can be combined together to save on shipping, however, the services tend to be on the expensive side (either UPS Ground/2day/overnight/overnight saver or USPS priority/2day). I've done USPS Priority (most of the time its the cheapest option), which they say will take 3-5 days, and it usually arrives much faster than UPS does.

There ya go!

8. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Also, in regards to heat issues, if im watching 1080p youtube in fullscreen, the fans turn on. For using Pages in class, dead silent. My battery is in need of replacement, so i cant really attest to that too much, but i will say that from using my sub-par battery, typing in pages and using Messages and chrome in the background for about 40 minutes straight makes my battery go from about 95% to 85%. El Capitan GM runs great on it, it runs much better than Yosemite would have, and even better than Lion does.

9. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

I like these prices although I can't access them. The eBay link says I missed out and the other pages all error out on the screen.

10. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Well that's odd. The eBay link probably will be relisted unless someone bought 20...

The PBM links I'm not sure why they are broken. I'll try and get you working links at some point.

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

This is a 5,2 that is within your budget.

12. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

Id appreciate that, as i think i might go through with it. A friend is offering me an older possibly a first gen macbook pro free to get me back on my feet for class. If im running snow leopard on that while i patch this machine up ill be happy. Just need the battery to be good in the pro. Because i love my white macbook. So if you could find the links for me as im nervous ill order the wrong parts as im constantly rushing for time id really appreciate that.
    Seems nice actually. Missing a battery and the screen is iffy. Im not sure. Kinda have a trust issue with paying a random fellow over online. Ebay is the same but im not sure. I want to maybe do the frankenstein mac and keep my baby operational while i use a early pro. Maybe ill be lucky and this pro is a 07 and can run yosemite. ill see tuesday. In the mean time i await the links as $66 is a great price to me!

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

He is a well respected guy on LEM Swap. That being said, I figured I would post it as it was within your budget.

14. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

Altemose, That is greatly appreciated but because i am in Canada, id rather do a local purchase rather then ship out. That being said, i'm even nervous about sending out my kingston SSD to be replaced by kingston. Sadly though, i think this machines purpose has come to an end. Im recieving a Macbook pro 5,5 today. Im sad to give up on this thing, but i need something for school that works and because i dont have yosemite on this i cant do certain things. Ill be posting in the macbook pro section soon. Ill still keep this one, maybe just sell the battery if anyone can use it as it will be a perfect back up machine.

15. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

That machine will serve you well for a long while and with 8 GB of RAM and a solid SSD it will be a speedy performer.

16. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Sorry it didn't work out. The board sold out sadly... Too bad you are in CAN, because I'm in need of a new battery.

17. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

Im rather sad it didnt work out. I wanted to keep my first laptop going, even if not using the original motherboard. Its a shame because its in very good shape, new battery and it stands out in the crowd.
    I hope so. I rather wanted my macbook 3,1 to last me through the next 3 years of university but the video card is just too crappy. Im rather sad. I want to sell the battery though, i paid $150 exactly a year and a week ago. It was replaced then in January so its only 10 months old, 130 cycles, 100% health. I think $120 on local craigs list is fair. what do you think?

18. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

19. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

20. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Option A would be to buy a 5,2 model and run it as long as you can. Option B is to repair your MacBook and use it as a secondary Mac. Finally, Option C is to part it out and make back all that you have put into it.

21. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

Well i was originally thinking of Option A, but i was notified but some fellow MR friends, that a new fix for mountain lion is out. So while im not studying, ill give it a shot and have it around as a secondary mac.. was kinda a pain to pull out my Emac G4 to use it to copy stuff off the drive, while i installed a new os on a different drive.