Purchase an iPhone at Apple or AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sonoran, May 2, 2008.

1. Sonoran macrumors member

Apr 29, 2007
    When I do buy my iPhone later this year (after Sprint has released me from their enslavement) are there any advantages to buying the iPhone from my Apple store or a local AT&T store?

If something does go wrong with it while under warranty are the AT&T stores good about swapping out a defective phone or is it better to go to Apple?

My local AT&T store is 3 miles away. Apple is 20 miles away.
  2. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Jan 4, 2008
    the island
    I just got one at AT&T and thought it was a great experience. But I must say I love my local Apple Store, nothing but the very best customer service there, and I only went to AT&T because my fiance and I were setting up a family plan with one iPhone and one nokia. I guess unless you have another reason to go to Apple, just go wherever is closer.
  3. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

Jul 31, 2006
    greer SC
    I just signed up with AT&T so I can get an iphone later. I am waiting for the Apple Store here in SC to open up so I can get it. I don't set too much store for my local AT&T stores.
    I went to Costco to set up my AT&T account. If I ever have problems with my phone I would take it to an Apple store so why not buy it from there?
  4. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

Dec 28, 2007
    PHX, AZ.
    It doesn't matter WHERE you buy it.
    AT&T is an authorized reseller and if you bought it at an AT&T location, you can still take it into any Apple store for warranty service.

It DOES matter where you take it for warranty work.

In most cases, AT&T will send the phone to Apple for warranty work where as the Apple store could swap it on the spot. Apple will also give you a loaner in some cases.
    There have been a few instances where an AT&T location simply swapped out defective phones on the spot, but you don't here about that happening very often.
  5. nickspohn macrumors 68040

Jun 9, 2007
    Between the Apple store and AT&T store online, Apple charges me $40 for taxes, and AT&T only $30. So if you want to say $10...
  6. barkerja macrumors newbie

Apr 22, 2008
    It Does Matter

When the new 3G comes out, if you buy it from AT&T and are a new customer you will receive $200 off the phone, making it $199 for the base model.

This was just a huge topic on a lot of the popular tech blogs, I'm sure with a little search you can find it.
  7. nickspohn macrumors 68040

Jun 9, 2007
    That is remarkably still a rumor, and has no confirmation.
  8. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Feb 3, 2007
    behind you!
    there is no fact whatsoever in this. It is just a rumor. don't mislead people
  9. barkerja macrumors newbie

Apr 22, 2008
    Okay. :) I'll definitely be renewing my AT&T contract to receive the rebate/discount. But knowing how AT&T has worked in the past, there will be more stipulations to the rebate, probably in a sense of having to be a brand new customer.

I only know very small details about it, as my wife works for AT&T corporate.