Purchase an iPhone at Apple or AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sonoran, May 2, 2008.

1. Sonoran macrumors member

When I do buy my iPhone later this year (after Sprint has released me from their enslavement) are there any advantages to buying the iPhone from my Apple store or a local AT&T store?

If something does go wrong with it while under warranty are the AT&T stores good about swapping out a defective phone or is it better to go to Apple?

My local AT&T store is 3 miles away. Apple is 20 miles away.

2. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I just got one at AT&T and thought it was a great experience. But I must say I love my local Apple Store, nothing but the very best customer service there, and I only went to AT&T because my fiance and I were setting up a family plan with one iPhone and one nokia. I guess unless you have another reason to go to Apple, just go wherever is closer.

3. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

I just signed up with AT&T so I can get an iphone later. I am waiting for the Apple Store here in SC to open up so I can get it. I don't set too much store for my local AT&T stores.
    I went to Costco to set up my AT&T account. If I ever have problems with my phone I would take it to an Apple store so why not buy it from there?

4. rjohnstone macrumors 68030

rjohnstone

It doesn't matter WHERE you buy it.
    AT&T is an authorized reseller and if you bought it at an AT&T location, you can still take it into any Apple store for warranty service.

It DOES matter where you take it for warranty work.

In most cases, AT&T will send the phone to Apple for warranty work where as the Apple store could swap it on the spot. Apple will also give you a loaner in some cases.
    There have been a few instances where an AT&T location simply swapped out defective phones on the spot, but you don't here about that happening very often.

5. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Between the Apple store and AT&T store online, Apple charges me $40 for taxes, and AT&T only $30. So if you want to say $10...

6. barkerja macrumors newbie

It Does Matter

When the new 3G comes out, if you buy it from AT&T and are a new customer you will receive $200 off the phone, making it $199 for the base model.

This was just a huge topic on a lot of the popular tech blogs, I'm sure with a little search you can find it.

7. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

That is remarkably still a rumor, and has no confirmation.

8. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

there is no fact whatsoever in this. It is just a rumor. don't mislead people

9. barkerja macrumors newbie

Okay. :) I'll definitely be renewing my AT&T contract to receive the rebate/discount. But knowing how AT&T has worked in the past, there will be more stipulations to the rebate, probably in a sense of having to be a brand new customer.

I only know very small details about it, as my wife works for AT&T corporate.