Purchase an iPhone at discounted rate

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Brett3rThanU, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Brett3rThanU macrumors regular

Long story short, my girlfriends iPhone got destroyed in hurricane Ike and can't afford $400 for a new one. However, her mom recently switched to AT&T about 2 weeks ago and is still within her 30 days to return her phone. Can we have her mom return her phone and purchase an 8GB iPhone at the subsidized rate, then my girlfriend can use it with her service? We'd then mail her mom a regular phone we have to use. Will this work? Or does AT&T require her mom to have the 3G data plan at the time of ordering over the Internet?

There is one other option... I also have an old iPhone, so if I activate that old one on her line (formerly 3G), then go to Best Buy and try to purchase another iPhone 3G Best Buy will see her account has the old iPHone, will they let her upgrade?

2. Brett3rThanU thread starter macrumors regular

I've read a few posts of people taking destroyed iPhones to Apple and them allowing replacement iPhones for $199/$299, is this possible?

3. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Call them. Tell them what happened. See what they say. Report back.

Also something to think about: insurance. Does your girlfriend have homeowners/renter's insurance? If so, the iPhone very well could be covered.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think those are both excellent points -- your situation (assuming it's true ;) ) is very different from the standard, "I'm an idiot and I threw my iPhone out the window, and then when I picked it up, I put it in my back pocket and then went to use the toilet and it fell in, but I still want to get Apple to pay for it" kind of story. AT&T doesn't benefit any from her wandering around with no cell phone to use on her expensive service contract. They should be willing to work with you. And Apple has always been very sympathetic to exceptional circumstances.

5. Brett3rThanU thread starter macrumors regular

She does have renters insurance so she's going to look into that.

I just got off the phone with Apple and scheduled an appointment tonight with a Genius. Tech Support told me all we had to do was bring in the broken iPhone and we can purchase a new one at the $199 rate if the damage is deemed accidental, which of course it will be. The glass screen completely came out and it doesn't turn on. In all honesty the hurricane itself didn't destroy the iPhone, but the mess of evacuating essentially lowered its priority and it was mistakenly broken pretty severely. Hopefully we can get it replaced for $199 as the rep said, but who knows.

6. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

good luck :cool:

7. Brett3rThanU thread starter macrumors regular

Well my girlfriend stopped by the Apple store earlier today on her own, apparently didn't even know I was investigating, and the person that helped her said they'd replace the iPhone for $199 no problem. Looks like she's getting a new one when their shipment comes in :)