Purchase Choice - MacPro vs IMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by huginn, Oct 18, 2007.

1. huginn macrumors newbie

Hello, I am purchasing Mac Desktop Computer and I would really appreciate any advices.

I make animation and I need to run mutiple graphic tools (Photoshop, Illustrator, Final Cut Pro, After Effects etc. - two or three at a time) and preferably be able to render files at the same time without computer getting slow. And the faster they render the better. However, it is going to be for a very small home-based business. Can IMac manage handling those tasks? Do you recommend getting MacPro?

I am deciding over:
    IMac 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    MacPro 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon

Thanks!

2. Mundy macrumors regular

The iMac can most certainly handle it. Just make sure that you don't need more than 4GB of RAM (which you might if you're running all those programs simultaneously). I'd also recommend that you get the 2.8 GHz upgrade option on the iMac.

On applications that are optimized for multiple cores, the Mac Pro is still going to be faster for long renders. And if you plan on keeping the computer for a long time, the Mac Pro's expandability is a big advantage.

Just remember that the Mac Pro is long overdue for an update. We could see new models as soon as November.

3. SpaceJello macrumors 6502

I was comparing both products with the same usage in mind (multiple graphics software etc). I just realized that if color is an issue for you, the iMac's glossy screen and inferior screen quality may be a problem. (Check out the iMac threads, there are loads of discussion on screen problems).

Yet, I wonder how powerful the 2.8 is vs the Xeon processors?

As well, does anyone know if we can upgrade the mac pro's processors?

4. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

I use a new iMac in work for heavy print design, running illustrator, photoshop, Acrobat pro, word, mail, extensis all together. While it's streets ahead of the old G4 powermac it replaced, I couldn't recommend it compared to the Mac Pro. If you can afford the Pro, get it.

5. SpaceJello macrumors 6502

Curious, how well does the new iMac you use for work when running several intensive programs all at once? (i.e. Rendering in Photoshop, illustrator etc)

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Processor-wise they are nearly identical at the same clock speed. Of course, the Mac Pro comes with 4 cores just to start with whereas the iMac can only have 2. The processors can be upgraded but at about $1000 a piece it is an expensive proposition. Speed is a lot more than processor. Its bus, disk, memory, etc. all of which is superior on the Pro.

7. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Wait A Few More Weeks For The 8 Core Mac Pros

iMac NO WAY. You need the new 8 core Mac Pro to do all you want to do at once. Forget the iMac. It is WEAK for what you want to do.

And don't buy the OLD 4 core 2.66 when an 8 core model for the same money is only less than a month away. Have you studied our 8 core thread?