Purchase dilemma

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rogue Coder, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Rogue Coder macrumors newbie

Okay I need some advice. I can either buy a late 2013 MacBook Pro NIB or a 2015 13 MacBook Pro NIB. Specs:

MacBook Pro Late 2013
    2.6Ghz i7 Quad core
    16GB RAM
    512GB SSD
    Nvidia 750 2gb GDDR5

MacBook Pro 2015
    2.7 Dual Core i5
    16GB Ram
    256GB SSD
    Intel 6100 graphics

I do a lot of web development work (design, code, etc), some older gaming (Diablo 3, Star Craft 2, Doom 3), etc. I know that the 2013 one has no warranty BUT the 2015 one has AppleCare until December 2019.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 25, 2017 ---
    The 2013 apparently has NEVER been used. Ever. It is still wrapped up and only the box plastic was openend to reveal the Macmbook Pro. So, in essence, it is a BRAND NEW machine. Due to its age I'll never be able to get a warranty for it, but I also know how long our beloved apples last. I had a QS Powermac G4 when I started my business and bought it for $100 several years ago and that was my first machine I used for my freelance web development business. Again I'm just looking for advice before I pull the trigger. I will be honest and say that, due to the latest 2016 release, I was considering a Dell XPS 9560 because I also do .Net development.

2. Sanpete macrumors 68020

For me it would be an easy choice between a 15" quad core and 13" dual core, assuming you can check out the former and see that it's working properly. But if you're not that concerned about the screen and processor differences, I'd get the newer one.

What's the connection there?

3. Rogue Coder thread starter macrumors newbie

None honestly. I've had little sleep. Sorry.

4. Sam_S macrumors regular

You should still get 3+ years out of either machine. So it depends if you want the newer model or not, however the 15" will out perform the 13"

5. Rogue Coder thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I'm thinking too. I know I can get more than 3 years out of either machine. Having the newer model doesn't concern me as much as horsepower, reliability and speed for what I do.

6. jakespeed macrumors member

Go with the 2015. The force touch is nice (missing on the older one), and for a DotNet developer ( I am as well ) it has enough horsepower in VM's or Native. I carried a 2013 13 rMBP for a long time and used a dedicated desktop to develop. I then moved to a 2014 15 Quad. The power was nice but its a big machine to carry around a lot. This year, I upgraded to the 2016 tbMBP 13 and hope thats its a good compromise. The 13 is not as fast but much easier to carry to meetings and to/from work. In reality the 13 only feels slower rarely (compiling C++ more than DotNet ) so the portability is nice.

7. jft94 macrumors regular

If it were me, I would go with the 2015 15". Not only for power, but screen size as well. It didn't take me long to regret purchasing my old mid-2012 13". I really, really, wish I had saved more for the 15". People kept telling me "would two inches really big that much more significant?" After buying my 2016 15", yes, yes there is.

For me, the screen size is the most important. The extra power is just icing on the cake.

I think you'll be happier in the long run with a 15".

8. Rogue Coder thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone! I put in the offer for it and hopefully they will accept. If not I'll just go ahead and "buy it now".