Purchase dilemma

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Northernmac, May 17, 2010.

1. Northernmac macrumors newbie

Apologies first hand as I am new to the forum and may be repeating other threads.

I have a IPad 64 G preordered for may 28 delivery; but have now noticed mixed reviews.
    I am replacing a 4 yr old macbook and am looking at either using the Ipad and purchasing a base imac to work together to cover my needs; or canceling the ipad order and just getting a 15" MBP or Base Imac and later a 13MBP.

My uses are basic to the average consumer( email,photo,personal video,word processing etc. not into gaming)
    With product updates it can be a challenge looking to decide for what I hope to use for 4 or 5 yrs.
    I am looking for thoughts on ones who have used these products and views of best use of expense.
    thankyou for your help

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

IMO iPad can't replace a computer. Of course if you get an iMac, it should satisfy your computing needs and iPad could be used for surfing etc. It's up to whether you want a portable computer or a desktop + a big iPod Touch

3. Coswyn macrumors member

Coswyn

An iPad can't replace a computer for all but it can for some. If all you do is browse the web, send email, manage photos, with very basic productivity (ie: non-intensive word processing and spreadsheets, etc.), then an iPad may work as well for you as a full-fledged computer, if not better (considering the trade-offs).

I would go with an iMac for extensive stationary use (treat it as a base) and a 13" MBP for periodic mobile use (treat it as an extension). If you don't mind typing on a touchscreen and having more limited functionality (ie: no disc drive, less robust applications, restrained multi-tasking, etc.) then get the iPad instead of the MBP. Though there are some nice trade-offs with the iPad, like a small form factor, touch navigation, the App Store, affordable 3G service, etc.

And I doubt an iPad will last 4-5 years, though an MBP likely will.

4. JCCash macrumors regular

If you like to read books then iPad would work for you. For computing the 13" MB or MBP would work better. IMO

5. maclearning macrumors member

iPad + iMac is the Solution

Get yourself an iMac and use the iPad as a truly mobile device. Your wireless synching with the iMac will cover anything you'd need to equip the iPad for the times you can go without a full blown mac.

6. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

If you need just media on the go, grab the iMac and the iPad, but if you need some power and flexiblity while out, get the 15" MBP.

Now if you need more than media on the go, but not that much power, get the iMac and the 13" MBP.

7. Northernmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Valid points

Suggestions make sense. It is always a risk purchasing any technology and having something better surface soon after . The Ipad is a bit more of a novelty.
    As far as I can see (although I may be wrong) there is not a means of storing data wireless except maybe through time machine.

For those with MBP 15" have you been completely satisfied with it as your only all purpose computer!

8. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

well I do have a desktop, but hardly use it now a days. My MBP runs just as fast if not faster, apart from intensive games, and if the PC was to break down I wouldn't be in a rush to fix it. For the useage you describe it'd be more than capable as your only computer, and if you need a bigger screen get a mini display to HDMi adapter that supports audio if you have a flat screen TV