Purchase eMac?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Davy.Shalom, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Davy.Shalom macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

Ok so I am visiting my grandparents in a couple of weeks and I think they need a new computer, considering they are using Windows NT 4.0 on an old Dual Pentium III server I made for myself a while back. I am thinking of getting them a used older mac, and of course teaching them the basics, the rest should be easy. Anyway, all they do is email, word processing, and web surfing. Here are my options:

eMac G4: $120
    1GHz
    512MB
    60GB
    DVD/CD-RW

iMac G3: $50
    700 mhz
    256 MB
    80GB
    CD

Which model is more reliable? I want this computer to just work. It needs to last at least 5 more years.

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I'd shoot for the eMac, those things are beasts and very reliable.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

well my emac's display died after 5 years lol

5. Davy.Shalom thread starter macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

In regards to a cheap linux box, yes I have. I do not, however, have another monitor to use with one. All mine are in use, so I would prefer the simplicity of an all in one.

6. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Go for the eMac. It has the time tested design of the iMac G3, and more power to boot. For your grandparents, it will definitely last 5 years doing simple tasks like you described.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It just really bothers me that you want to use a 4-8 year old computer and then want it to last 5 more years.

I have two things to say FLASH and operating system updates.

8. Davy.Shalom thread starter macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

Well if its well built, it should be able to last another five years. Anyway, this would not be doing very intensive tasks, so it should last a bit longer eh?

-yes I agree
    RAM and OS updating

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

They probably don't peruse youtube much. and if the things listed are the only things they want to do why would they ever want to update their OS?

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm sure they want to keep using NT 4.0 right? Just like they want to keep using Tiger for the next 5 years?

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

They obviously don't mind.

The OP even said, that s/he thinks that the grandparents need a new computer. They didn't ask for one.

12. Davy.Shalom thread starter macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

Well listen, unlike you and me Eidorian, they don't use their computer for work and play everyday. They use it because its how they stay in touch with me and other relatives, and to read some articles sometimes on the web. They wouldn't mind using Tiger for another 5 years. Remember these people are not from our generation, they were already somewhat elderly by the time computers came into heavy use.

13. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

You should probably just get a Maxed out Mac Pro. That would probably be the most future proof for them.

Then again, you should probably wait until Snow Leopard is out.

14. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

This is obviously the best choice. Spending more money for a future proof computer.

The iMac G3 is solid but the eMac has a G4 even with the flaky video cables on both machines and the capacitor debacle of the eMac like many other computers of its time.

15. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

You don't understand. They're not looking for a "future proof" machine they're looking for a machine that will keep running and work, not one that will be constantly used and needs numerous upgrades.

16. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Your missing the point that they just want something simple to use for web stuff.

I do agree that if possible you should try and get something with an intel processor. For an iMac with that processer, you're going to spend $500 or so dollars. I don't know if that is really worth it for you or not.

I will tell you this. My parents had an eMac that was a 700 MHz edition. I would never recommend that computer in this day and age. The g3 just can't handle today's webpages. I would think that the G4 is at that stage or coming close to it.

My advice is to spend the extra hundred or two dollars now and save yourself the hours of phone calls on why the computer is going slow.

17. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

Get them a macbook air... its good for basic stuff like browsing the web and word processing.

18. Davy.Shalom thread starter macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

Not spending over 400 dollars. Sorry, they hardly use a computer anyway, so it would really be a waste.

Thanks for the feedback, and I have concluded that in the end I am gonna give em my old PC that I made for school. Haha, it doesn't cost me anything and its only 1 less PC out of 3.
    specs:
    -Dual 2 GHz Pentium 4s (with H/T)
    -ATI Radeon X1300
    -4 GB RAM
    -250 GB HDD
    -Win XP
    -Ubuntu 8.10
    -DVDrw/CDrw drive

I also found a spare 15 inch LCD display. Thanks, but they're not going mac this year. Anyway, I think the P4 will handle their tasks very well.