Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EW800

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
Hi Everyone,

I normally purchase my iPhones a couple of months after release. This time, I would like to get the iPhone 6 4.7 pretty much at release. My carrier is Verizon. I was just wondering what should be taken into consideration when trying to decide whether to purchase from the carrier or from Apple? Are there typically any advantages to purchasing at one over the other?

Thanks!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Same exact product. Just the buying experience and stock levels would be different.
Typically Apple stores have way more stock than local carrier stores and also Apple store customer service is better.

nnacrumors

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2014
Do you like paying $35 restocking fees if you decide you don't want the phone? If not then buy from Apple instead of carriers.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Apple Store.

They get significantly more stock than the carrier stores in my experience.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
The other side of this is that typically the lines at carrier stores are way shorter.
If you have a corporate store and not a reseller nearby, call them the day before and see if you can get an idea of how many phones they have. When the 5 came out I went to the line at my corp AT&T store around 6AM on launch day and had like 10 people ahead of me. They had plenty of phones.

You do need to call and make sure that they aren't going to get just a handful of phones. If they can't or won't tell you, then I wouldn't take a chance.

Having said all of that, I'll be in line at an Apple store probably around 10PM the night before. I actually enjoy doing this now. It's a bit of fun and adventure to look forward to once a year.

jekjones1558

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2010
Currently I don't see a way to buy a Verizon phone on the Apple site if you want the Edge program. I see a list of plans and prices for Verizon but no way to choose Edge, only 2 year contract Verizon phones. I would prefer to order my 2 phones from Apple but unless things change I guess I will have to order from Verizon.

PVisitors

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
A tip for EU (particularly UK customers) is to always buy from Apple whether its sim-free or a contract.

Apple are very open about giving you the added 1 year EU warranty compared to snake oil dealers like the carriers or Carphone Warehouse where you would have to fight hook and nail to get them to honour it beyond the Manufacturer's warranty.

The amount of people I see who come to the genius bar with a broken iPhone outside of the 1 year warranty but within the 2 years of EU consumer law but can't be helped because they bought their phone from another retailer is staggeringly large. Makes you feel even worse when they say that the carrier/retailer told them to take it to the Apple store when they know full well that beyond a Manufacturer's warranty it becomes the retailer's responsibility.

Honestly, it's worth waiting past release date to be able to take out the contract or phone in an Apple store than in carphone warehouse or the network shop.

Rud3Bwoy

Suspended
Oct 9, 2011
id go with which ever is easier to purchase from,id be trying both sites when pre orders go up

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
I have experience with buying from all 3 :D

3G- ATT store. Good experience, in and out. Not on release day.
4- Apple store. Good experience. in and out. Not on release day.
5- Frys. Crappy experience. Called in advance and still had to fight to get on. Day after release day.

For the 6, I think I'm going to do Apple direct. Whether online or in store. :apple:

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2014
Except for the possible restocking fee, I think ATT is easier and quicker to get in for the order. Since I'm not worried about "restocking", it's ATT for me.

While it doesn't matter either way, the ATT store people have been very easy to deal with. I have 2 phones, one the current iPhone and the other an old flip phone. I have the contracts staggered by one year. So, one year I "upgrade" my iPhone and the next year I "upgrade" my flip (for an iphone).

Then a quick visit to my ATT store where they do the sim swap, leaving me with the new iPhone and once again my flip.

So every year I'm due an upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.