Purchase help for older G4 PowerPC

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jbsmith05, May 6, 2009.

1. jbsmith05 macrumors newbie

I have recently switched from the PC world over to the Mac world. I currently have an Intel iMac, but am looking into purchasing a used mac desktop (a PowerPC version - G4 or something of the like). I am having a bit of trouble determining what specs I should look at. Being well versed in the PC world I know that typically one should get the fastest processor and the most memory as possible considering one's budget. However with the PowerPC processor, I seem to recall that this is not necessarily true - or at least one can't compare the specs from a PowerPC Mac to an Windows based PC thinking that same specs would yield similar performance.

My main uses for this desktop would be:
    Internet Sharing
    very minimal office use - excel/word
    would like to have OS X 10.4.11

Bottom line is that this machine would not be used for any heavy processing - such as photoshop/final cut, etc. Basically a dummy to serve internet to a couple other machines/routers.

What would/should my minimum specs be to run the above? Would a G4 733Ghz with 1.5GB RAM suffice?

2. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

It would indeed be enough, though maybe a tad slow. If you could get a dual processor machine, or at least a single 1 GHz, that would be better.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Suffice for what?

File server?
    3d rendering?

Intel iMac > g4 by the way.

4. jbsmith05 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. jbsmith05 thread starter macrumors newbie

Suffice for what I listed in the original thread...
    Internet Sharing
    very minimal office use - excel/word
    would like to have OS X 10.4.11

6. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Oops a bit slow today.

Yes it'll work fine, but I would get a dual processor as they don't cost that much more than the single processor models last time I checked.

Benefit is you can put in a bunch of harddrives in it. Just get a SATA card for the cheaper SATA drives.

8. Lynxpro macrumors 6502

Low End Mac is a good website for info.

Same goes for - what is it? - Every day Mac?

What I'd like to find is better info on compatible video cards for the G4 and G5 PowerMacs. The content on the websites I've found haven't been that up-to-date. The process of flashing the BIOS on the video cards I don't have a problem with but the whole etching/bending/taping contacts for ATi cards bothers me. I'm still in the market for a decent [nvidia] AGP video card that'll beat the dual head 64meg GeForce FX 5200 that came with the G5 I picked up from eBay a month ago...

What I really find annoying is the high cost of "classic" RAM. Anything before PC3200 can command quite a premium for decent branded memory. The cost of [non used] PC133 memory disgusts me.

9. jbsmith05 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cassie,
    Do you see any issue with Mac of All Trades not providing the OS disks? I have heard some people saying that this is an issue and why they wouldn't purchase the machine.

I am of the side where it seems that the 10.4 install disks are readily available on sites such as ebay/amazon around $100. So even if I did have to purchase them the entire computer is still around $250. Seems like that is still a good deal for a light duty mac?

10. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

You can get a computer with the discs for the same price. Plus, why pay more money for an already outdated computer?

11. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

if it's a dummy i think you could spend that money elsewhere a lot better

12. jbsmith05 thread starter macrumors newbie

where can I get a G4 867Mhz dual with the OS discs for $150?

I don't see it as paying more for an outdated computer...$250 for something that is going to be minimally used is better than paying $800 plus for something new isn't it?

13. jbsmith05 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not exactly a dummy (close however) - it will be used, just very sparingly. What did you have in mind as to where to spend the money elsewhere?