Purchase Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dannyr, Mar 10, 2011.

1. dannyr macrumors newbie

Probably a topic you are all familiar with and I imagine are sick of answering...However I have never owned a mac, my computer knowledge is quite general, and such a purchase is indeed a hefty investment.

I am fighting between the MBP 13 & 15. I essentiallly am going to be using the laptop for watching movies, downloading media, internet, word processing, and there is the potential for 2d autocad work. I don't play games.

I am willing to spend between 1500-2600, the less the better, applecare included. Will SSD really help me even though I wont be running tons of tasks? Should I care about the screen resolution? currently using 1680x1050 on my 15" HP workstation. Ive been browsing this forum for the last month and still can't figure out what would best suit me, and the associates at the apple store are really no help. I have looked into the 15" with ssd, hi res, but have no idea if I am way in over my head for my needs? Am I buying too much machine and will only really utlize a tid-bit of what it has? Please aid me with some advice! Much thanks!:confused:

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

You really can't go wrong with SSD. Do you need it for those tasks? No. After trying one will you regret not getting one? Yes. Sort of like smartphones. 5 years ago nobody thought they were necessary, but now they're integrated into our user experience and a near-basic necessity.

The SSD will add tremendous speed to your machine. It also helps with multitasking if you are playing media and trying to do other tasks at the same time. As far as resolution, and this is 'just me,' but I would have no use for a high-res screen because I'd turn the setting down. The new super-high resolutions are very hard on my eyes. While you can fit more on the screen clearly, the question is do you want to?

3. dannyr thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure but wouldnt my current resolution of 1680x1050 on a 15" screen be pretty comparable to the resolution on a 13" screen? I looked at the macbook air's because of the resolution, not knowing if i truly needed that strong a resolution, but also because I heard they were super fast because of the ssd...I just cant justify spending all that money on an outdated processor...or should I?

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Always an option of going with an aftermarket SSD. That's what many people have done with their previous Macs. I have one in my MBP now, but that's being sold and the SSD is going into the 2009 iMac. You can get one for less than half the cost of Apple's upgrade. Try Other World Computing or Corsair.

5. HBOC macrumors 68020

I would think the 13" would be more than enough for you, based on your description.

6. citizenal macrumors regular

I would get the 15 inch high res just because you are used to it. I bought a 13 inch last year and used it for a couple of weeks. The screen was obviously smaller than a 15 inch, but the lower resolution made it seem even smaller. Finally I paid the restocking fee and upgraded to the 15" and have been happy since. I say if you're used to the 15 inch 1680x1050 just get a base model or whatever model you can w/ the high res. It will be an easier transition for you with your new mac.

7. dannyr thread starter macrumors newbie

would I notice a dramtic difference between the 2 resolutions?

8. dannyr thread starter macrumors newbie

9. ramo macrumors member

You should take a look at these reviews:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20039450-1.html#ixzz1GEsf0zg3

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4205/the-macbook-pro-review-13-and-15-inch-2011-brings-sandy-bridge

10. Hobbescodger macrumors newbie

You will need to install Windows with boot camp to use autocad.

11. shootingrubber macrumors 6502

They have AutoCAD for Mac.

12. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

Why not do the smart thing and go see for yourself at any apple store

13. dannyr thread starter macrumors newbie

Reference the first post.

14. Hobbescodger macrumors newbie

If you want to pay about 4k for the full program. if you are only using 2d you will mos likely be running AutoCAD LT which as far as I know is still not made for Mac.

15. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

I did. If your spending 2k+ on a machine why not make up ur own mind about screen resolution.