Purchase in DE

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by brguitarist, Aug 23, 2009.

1. brguitarist macrumors member

This week, I think I'll be driving over to Christiana Mall in DE since it's not that far for me to buy a 13" MBP for myself and my dad would be buying my brother one as well since he's starting college in the fall. I go to school in NY but since I'm "close" (a little under 2 hrs) to DE I figured I'd save a few bucks on tax.

Is there anything I should keep in mind other than calling beforehand to make sure they have the computers I want?

2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I'm surprised they're using English language names for the malls - it should make your trip a bit easier. According to Wikipedia the rate of sales tax in Germany is 19% which is pretty high even compared to other EU countries.

Remember the store in Christiana Mall is not an Apple Store - it's likely a Premium Reseller though. I think a lot of people like to buy from the 'official' Apple Store, but since you are travelling so far I guess it doesn't matter. Apple only has one store in Germany and it's in Munich on Rose Street.

From your post it sounds like you are already in Europe - which country are you staying in? You may be able to get a better deal there.

3. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

Um...maybe I'm missing the humor, but the Christiana Mall is in Delaware.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Um, he says he's going to drive from New York to Delaware. Where do we get Germany from here? :confused:

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I think he means Delaware. It probably takes longer than 2 hrs to drive to Germany from New York. :D

6. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

I immediately thought of Germany too. DE is short for Deutschland here in Europe. Also, .de is the country extension for German sites. So it's pretty obvious to me why neiltc13 thought of Germany. It's always better to write city, state and country names fully, to avoid misconceptions like this. Also, Christiana is a pretty common name in Germany, so it was an easy mistake.

7. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

Me too. :D

8. ddiogyn macrumors member

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Right, cause nothing in the original post gave us a clue as to his location. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

10. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

This thread made me laugh. It is an honest mistake.

11. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

I live about an hour away from Christiana, and I bought my iMac there too. Gotta love not paying taxes. Too bad the rest of the mall is dead... it's like a ghost town in there with all the closed stores. This was back maybe... 10 months ago (that I last went), so yeah. To get the best service, when somebody greets you, immediately say "I'm here to buy a *insert product*." I did it and they were all over me in a heartbeat.

12. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Sure, his normal place of residence is in New York. But he wrote that he was close to DE (which we mistakenly took for meaning Germany), a two hour drive. That can mean that he's in Europe right now, a two hour drive away from Germany. Sure, he goes to college in New York, but that doesn't say anything about his current place of residence. You only (correctly) took DE to be Delaware because you're in the US, but we're not.

Your turn. :rolleyes:

13. Swiss Apple macrumors member

Swiss Apple

Exactly, had he stated Deleware in his title I wouldn't have even opened the thread.

14. mdgolom macrumors 6502

Christiana Mall is in Delaware in the United States. The reason he's going there is that it's one of the few states in the US that doesn't charge a sales tax.

15. mdgolom macrumors 6502

I live in Maryland and when there to buy my 24" iMac in Dec 2007. I used an education discount when I bought the iMac and the sales person made a comment about needing to be within a 100 mile radius to do it. It's the first time I had ever heard that. In any case, I would call ahead of time and make sure they have what you're looking for.

16. brguitarist thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the feedback guys! My apologies on the miscommunication DE was indeed a bad abbreviation to use. Thanks buddyguyman I'll keep that in mind. Hmm, hope the 100 mile radius thing isn't a problem since I'm about 110 miles away...