Purchase in one state, activate in another?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JNB, Jun 4, 2007.

1. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Anyone (preferably Cingular/AT&T customers) have a clue as to whether a phone could be purchased in one state, and activated with a phone number in another?

Reason I ask, is that I live in AZ, but will be in Portland (OR) next month. Since they have no sales tax, buying an iPhone there would save me about $48 or so in tax.

But...

If I couldn't get a 602/623 area code activating it there, then why bother, eh?

2. brandon6684 Guest

I bought my phone from sprint while I was in tech school for the air force, but I got an are code for back home, not the area I was in. I think most companies will give you a number any area that they cover if you ask them.

3. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Won't be a problem. I know this because, well ... first off I have done it quite a few times with cell phones, I used to travel a lot.

Outside of that, I already talked to AT&T this morning about it. I now live in California, and I have a NJ area code. I want to keep the NJ number, but will be buying the phone out here. They confirmed today that it won't be an issue moving my number, I will even have a temp NJ number while my number is being ported over.

This is actually fairly common for people to do.