Purchase iPhone in USA to use in Europe

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hexiii, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

I've been intending to buy the new iPhone after release to replace my 4S and since I am going to USA for a week at the end of October, I was thinking about purchasing it there. (Assuming the unlocked version will be available.)

The reason is that it's much cheaper in the US - $650 vs $850 (if I convert the currency)

I have few questions, though.

1) Is there any difference in the hardware? Just whether it would even work in Czech Republic if the antennas are any different.

2) It's not really smart, is it? If something happened or the phone would be faulty, I wouldn't be able to return it/get it replaced.

I'd just like to hear some thoughts or correct me if I am missing something else. Thanks :)

2. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

In theory what you propose to do should work. The question you raise of support is what would concern me as well. Maybe ask your local apple store.

3. Hexiii thread starter macrumors 65816

Hexiii

Well, the thing is, there are no official Apple Stores in Czech Republic, just resellers.

4. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

I'd say safer to get in UK or France. Since those units can get replaced in any EU country.

5. zipa macrumors 65816

6. Winona Northdakota, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2014

Winona Northdakota macrumors 6502a

Purchase iPhone in USA to use in Europe

One can order online from the online Apple Store in the Czech Republic.

7. Hexiii thread starter macrumors 65816

Hexiii

Sure, one can even buy it locally in Czech Republic, but the price was the whole point. :)

8. Winona Northdakota macrumors 6502a

I understand, though support for when things go wrong is important too.

9. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

If it supports the bands you need, buy the Verizon Wireless model. It comes already unlocked for use on GSM carriers which are the vast majority. Don't go to a Verizon store though because they'll make you buy service for it (won't lock you out of GSM service, but it's pricy if you're never going to use it). Buy from Apple. You may even look at the Apple website in the US at the factory unlocked model.

This is of course assuming that pricing remains the same when the iPhone 6 is released ;)

10. Neebee macrumors 6502a

You very likely will run into supply/stock issues so soon after the new iPhone is released. Historically, stores typically have on hand the more expensive models eg. 32, 64 GB until Xmas.

You'd be wise to order via Apple's website and have it shipped to a friend in the USA. You will also need to be mindful of your import limits and declare your device when you return home.