Purchase Iphone Without A Plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mr.PS, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Mr.PS macrumors 6502a

Im purchasing the Iphone as a gift for someone who is not on AT&T (they will be though). I can't seem to purchase the phone without a plan. Bestbuy, Amazon, Apple, etc are a no go. Any idea what I can do?

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

You might have to buy the v1 iPhone, since all 3G iPhones are bricked and activation must be via iTunes...:(

3. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

buy them something else, or get a first generation off eBay

4. shinenjk macrumors regular

They won't let you do this YET. I'm not sure about the exact date (no one is) but eventually they will let you purchase the iPhone 3G WITHOUT a contract at a more expensive price. Google unsubsidized iPhone 3G or something to find out more.

5. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

Why don't you give them a Credit card for the iPhone amount + tax + extras and that way they can spend the amount when it comes time to get it?

6. Mr.PS thread starter macrumors 6502a

I can't believe people are recommending a first gen. Who wants a year old inferior phone? :rolleyes:

Anyway, looks like I will have to have them purchase it and I will pay for it.

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

"Oh, you DI'ANT!" Dude, you are the one that asked for advice about what to do and you didn't specify which iPhone you wanted to purchase... The advice that we gave you is the only way to meet you specific needs, but apparently you are above that. :rolleyes: Maybe you need to stand in line for about 4 hours to find out that you can't get a NEW 3G iPhone without a plan. :rolleyes:

8. Inukami macrumors 6502

You want an Iphone 3G? Okay

Buy the Iphone($199 or $299), activate it(that's $30 right?), stay with your contract for 1 month(you have to, $60), cancel the contract with a fee of $170(since every month its -$5 if you cancel early).

9. Mr.PS thread starter macrumors 6502a

You obviously did not read my original post. Wait a month? It's a gift for someone. I need it sooner then a month.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies (some of them). I'm going to pick one up locally in an hour or so and will just activate it on the spot with the person I'm buying it for.

10. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

That's good to hear; that's a really nice gift BTW. :cool:

11. manhattanboy macrumors 6502a

manhattanboy

good luck with that.
    You have to have that person physically with you for some strange reason. Go figure.
    I hate this activation thing in store. Just let us do it at home for Christ's sake.

12. tomashi macrumors regular

13. Inukami macrumors 6502

Who said anything about waiting a month? Just give him/her the phone and let him/her use it. After that one month tell him/her to add it to his/her plan(ATT/T-Mobile only/no data plan available unless you sign a new 2 year contract with ATT)

14. yode macrumors 6502

It's a man

edit: *He's

15. tritonj macrumors 6502a

why don't you bring him to the store on the special day and buy it for him

or you could gift cards, those are your only choices pretty much

16. illidian macrumors 6502

:rolleyes:

How about the people who don't get/want 3G, GPS, or are on other carriers. Or those who want a better back on their device.

17. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

Doesn't Apple have special iPhone gift cards for sale just for this purpose?

18. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Open up a line, buy it and do early termination after a month.

Or do EBay and pay.

19. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

You could get creative with it! Make an iPhone cake or something! Then go get the real thing :cool:

20. Bambeezer macrumors regular

I wish there was an easy way to do this. My little sister wanted a white one for her birthday and I had to wait in line with her to pay for the phone with my credit card on her ATT account. It would have been a lot easier to just pick it up for her and wrap it.

21. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I disagree the 1st gen phone has better battery life and better build quality than the 3G phone. Also the sexy aluminum back doesn't scratch nearly as easy as the plastic back does.