Purchase: Macbook or Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by fre3d0m, Jun 16, 2011.

1. fre3d0m macrumors newbie

I am a planning to purchase a mac for college. I would consider myself pretty average in terms of computer needs (i.e. don't use high end, memory-intensive applications). I would, however, like to be able to multi-task freely, which may consist of streaming HD video with iTunes and a word processor running in the background.

My options are as follows:
    *Macbook, 2 GB
    *Macbook, 4 GB
    *Macbook Pro (low-end)

Since I'm on the average end of the "need spectrum," I'm leaning towards just getting the Macbook, 2 GB. However, with the Lion update, I'm concerned that the more advanced operating system would tax the 2 GB of RAM more. I *think* I can update the RAM myself to 4 GB, but if I were to end up in that situation, it might be worth the extra money just to spring for a MBP and get the metal enclosure, backlit keyboard, etc.

I've already read MacRumors' guide to purchasing a mac, but I'm still stuck. Any thoughts/advice? Much appreciated =)

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I would get the baseline mbp at microcenter for 999 personally

I would avoid the mb line at this point in time as it is pretty dated in comparision

3. Bear macrumors G3

MacBook Pro for sure. it has more ram, slightly more disk space, probably a better GPU and definitely a better case.

It also has as you mentioned the backlit keyboard which is great.

And the one thing that you missed the CPU in the base MBPro is really a much better CPU.

4. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

Definitely Macbook Pro. In the Macbook you're still with the older Core 2 Duo processor as the MBP you'll get a dual core i5 processor. Also the Macbook limits to 4gb of ram whereas the MBP is at 8gb.

I purchased mine at Microcenter for $999 so the same price as a Macbook.

5. akhbhaat macrumors regular

Regardless of your needs, the white Macbook is a seriously poor value right now. It's 13 months old as-is, and the base technology within is a couple years older still. There's no question that you should buy the Macbook Pro, which is running the newest hardware on the market. Even that aside, the metal enclosure, better screen and backlit keyboard alone are worth the price premium to many people.

6. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

No question: MacBook Pro. Even with no discount, the performance difference is worth far more than $200, which is the difference in price. I can't recommend the MacBook to anyone right now, the hardware is just getting too old.

7. macjacky11 macrumors member

I agree. the new mbp was just updated few moths ago and was packed with a more advanced spec. I would say it is a more worthy deal.

8. palpatine macrumors 68040

the macbook is actually a good computer, but it carries an outrageous price, if you consider the outdated specs. i don't know why apple refuses to adjust prices over time. that is their strange marketing strategy, though, so you will get MUCH more for you money if you buy one of the updated macbook airs (coming soon) or the macbook pros (recently refreshed). i recently purchased a 13" macbook pro and i am quite pleased with it.

9. vistadude macrumors 65816

Go with the one that looks better. In my opinion, the macbook pro looks dated and "played out." By the time you goto college, the macbook will probably be updated with similar specs as the pro, so you may as well wait and choose whichever is the better value then.

Whichever you get, you should update the RAM to 8 GB. It only costs around $100, so either will run Lion well.

10. palpatine macrumors 68040

dated? wasn't it dell that just released a knockoff? it seems like apple's competitors don't consider it dated.

wait? i suspect the macbook will not be updated. i think jobs is going to discontinue the line and focus on the air instead. so, i don't think i would recommend waiting for the macbook update. i'd be looking more at the air, and depending on its specs, decide between the air and the pro.

11. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

First off, we don't know for sure if any updated Airs are coming soon or not. There's a lot of rumor, and it seems likely, but we don't know. Secondly, the Air makes for a terrible primary computer. It doesn't have near enough power or ports to fulfill that function. Look at the current Air: at bottom end, you get a 1.4 GHz C2D. My 3 year old MacBook has a 2.2 GHz C2D. It's not all about the CPU, yes, but my MacBook can outperform the current fastest Air in general, especially when it comes to converting music or anything else that is CPU-intensive.

If you're looking for a secondary, portable computer, the Air is a great, though expensive, choice. If you're finding your primary computer in this venture, stay away from the Air.

12. vistadude macrumors 65816

In a college campus, too many people have MacBook pro's. All other computers aren't so obvious to pick out. The white MacBook isn't rare, but it is less common.

13. JJ452 macrumors newbie

Am I the only one that prefers the white keyboard?

While the specs are outdated if you're not going to be doing CPU intensive tasks or if you don't mind not having an aluminium body the MacBook will be fine. I know people are saying if you spend more you get more with the 13" mbp but that is also true of the 13" mbp to the 15", obviously the more you spend the more you get...

14. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

I liked it for the first month then it gets real dirty:(

And the illuminated keyboard is way more handy:D

15. bizzle macrumors 6502a

Wrong. It supports 8GB, Apple will only sell you 4GB.