Purchase MacBook Pro retina from Amazon or Apple?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cosrocket, Oct 31, 2012.

1. cosrocket macrumors regular

Amazon is less expensive and I do not need Apple to set it up for me and I would be purchasing the base model with no upgrades, so I'm interested only if there is a problem if one has better service over the other.

Thanks.

2. Liquinn Suspended

Get it from Amazon if you can - but if you buy it in store you can take it home without waiting for any type of delivery. Amazon do good discounts on Macintosh hardware. :)

3. shansoft macrumors 6502

Get it from Apple with student discount.

That is $200 off right away without even checking your student status.

4. edk99 macrumors 6502a

It really does not matter.
    I've bough from Amazon, B&H Photo and MacMall and all were good buying experiences. I bought my MBPr from MacMall and had no issues.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...N=4110474292+4291615352+4100277621+4294949014

http://www.macmall.com/n/Macbook-Pro-Retina-Display/macNavLinks-753

5. baummer macrumors 6502a

Last I checked, Amazon is good if you don't qualify for education pricing. If you do, Apple is cheaper by $0.99. Given that Apple services the warranty, purchase wherever benefits you the best, whether that's due to store loyalty, rewards, gift cards, sale price, etc.

6. 90miles macrumors member

I've been buying machines from Amazon for quite a bit of time and I love the process, nothing beats being able to not pay tax and the prime shipping.

7. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I'm pretty sure they do check your student status nowadays.

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Amazon is fine. Your warranty is through Apple and it starts on your purchase date, just like buying from Apple.

9. baummer macrumors 6502a

I miss the tax-free purchasing from Amazon, though given state use tax guidelines you are just having to pay it later anyway. Ever since mid-September California purchases are now charged sales tax, so saves some trouble come tax season and avoid having to fill out the use tax declaration.

No they don't, at least not in my experience. One method I used to use while I was working at my university was to purchase on-campus, as they were automatically inventoried in the bookstore's system with the edu discounted price. So, anyone could come in and purchase theoretically as they never asked for a student ID# or anything. Those days are over, as starting last year they no longer "stock" inventory and instead have an iMac hooked up that you can order from "in-store" and have it shipped to you.

10. epigenome macrumors member

Not that I'm encouraging fraud, but I recently purchased with an education discount through the website (which I am legitimately entitled to) and they did not confirm nor ask for my .edu email address online or when I picked up the machine.

But, when I've purchased in person they have made me log onto my .edu email address or provide a university ID card with a graduation date.

11. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Amazon doesn't yet charge sales tax for Florida so I patiently waited earlier this month for Amazon to get the base model back in stock and went for it just about 4 weeks ago. I love Amazon. I use Prime and paid the extra $8 on a Friday to get it delivered the next day--Saturday. And with Amazon you do have 30 days to send it back--my 30 days expires next week but so far, there is no way they are getting this baby back. :)

12. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

But you know that when you pay your taxes, legally you have to pay tax on that purchase, right? I know a lot of people like to think that it's tax-free shopping, but really it's not...

13. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

^^
    Legally true although most Floridians do not file any state forms and so far, Florida has not aggressively pursued compliance. My guess it that eventually Amazon will have to start collecting sales tax, just a matter of time.

14. 90miles macrumors member

For me it ends up being as my current permanent address is in Europe and I'm not american, I travel to the U.S almost every week though which makes the Amazon option perfect as I avoid paying taxes for a state that gives me nothing in return (ie: my kids don't go to school there), not that it really matters as we are looking to help the OP, just some insight.

15. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

In your particular case, that makes a lot of sense. :) For those of us that live in the U.S., technically you're supposed to pay taxes on all internet purchases when you file your taxes in April, if tax wasn't collected at the time of purchase.

16. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Many don't know this (others do their taxes for them); or just choose to ignore the requirement. Those that look for an out on paying state sales taxes then complain about cuts in the services THEY want funded....

And this will be a boon to brick and mortar stores in Florida and other states that DO compete quite well on price - but loose out because people walk out over paying sales taxes. :(

But the state does give things in return - roads, public transit, public safety, libraries, wifi access - all things that I have enjoyed in my travels in the US and overseas.

Please forgive us in the US for sales taxes on hotel rooms and rental cars that seem to fund stadiums and such that should have been funded by those that actually own the teams and businesses...

17. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Well when I bought my MacBook Pro in 2009 I didn't need to provide any identification when I purchased from the online store. However I have heard from others that they have had to provide ID when purchasing since then.

18. kallyq macrumors regular

I got mine at Best Buy because of the financing and silver status member benefits :)

19. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Interesting. Wonder how they handle a case like mine where I qualify due to the fact that i'm the parent of (multiple) higher education students. I sure don't have their EDU logins nor their ID's.

20. baummer macrumors 6502a

You don't qualify for an education discount, but your children do per the Apple Store policy:

21. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Ok, I've bought 4 Macbook Pros and 2 iPads for my college attending kids, seems to me that I've had purchases that were eligible. Your point is? *I* qualify when buying for my kids, as your quote so clearly states.

Now that that's clear you want to answer how they handle that? I've NEVER been asked for their ID's

22. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

First check the AppleInsider pricing guide. http://appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide

I save over a $100 on price plus no sales tax or shipping costs by purchasing my BTP rMBP from MacMall. Another choice is to join NAPP or other organization that gets discounts from Apple.