Purchase MBP W/ or W/O dGPU with Apple's track record?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jsoto, May 28, 2017.

1. jsoto macrumors regular

jsoto

Hello everyone,

I have a mid 2010 MBP i7 6,2 2.66 with just starting GPU panics. I just looked in console and I have 2 in this month of May. Which I just noticed it probably could have been longer but I just noticed. I have read a ton of threads on this in MacRumors and other models with GPU issues.

The MBP is very usable I am typing this thread using the GPU on an external display. I use the MBP basically docked 100% of the time. I do travel with it but at home it is basically docked. What I mean by docked is just lay flat on my desk with a dongle for the HDMI, external drive, ethernet, etc connected to the ports.

With Apple's track record with dGPU's on MBP not all that great. Should I just shop for a MBP without dGPU? With today's integrated graphics should we just stick with that? I work in IT but in a Windows shop. I use my MBP daily at home for remote support. I have been VERY happy with it. I bought it new in BestBuy during Black Friday sales back in November 2010. Without a doubt it has been the best laptop I have ever used. I have upgraded with a Samsung SSD 1TB 850 Pro this year, and Crucial 8 GB of RAM. The RAM upgrade was instant when I purchased the notebook back in Nov 2010. I did a HDD upgrade from the 500 GB 5400 RPM drive to a 1TB 7200 RPM drive. The SSD upgrade was just done this year as I waited till SSD's dropped down in price.

I am curious what your thoughts are in purchasing a MBP with or without dGPU today? I am just trying to get some ideas when it is time for me purchase one. My MBP is very usable but wish it didn't have the GPU panics. I only have 2 this month so it is not disrupting my work flow at the moment.

BTW I love the rMP and the new MBP form factors. It will be a big change with the ports, but I am sure I could adapt.

Curious to hear your comments!

Thanks!

2. caramelpolice macrumors regular

The last model to have meaningful widespread dGPU issues was six years ago.

3. jsoto thread starter macrumors regular

jsoto

Thanks! Good to know Apple has really addressed this.

4. Patcell macrumors 6502

As stated, the Retina models (since 2012) with dedicated graphics have been very reliable. Also, if you got 7 years out of yours, that's pretty good for a laptop IMO...

On the flip side, if your workflow is handled by your 2010 machine reasonable well, then you should be able to get by fine with a 13" Pro (integrated graphics).

Good luck!

5. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

I would vote for a non-GPU model any day. There is a repair program running at the moment for laptop sold between 2011 and 2013. And it is not as if the laptops being sold recently do not have GPU issues; they do but just not on a widespread case. Also to note, as you must be aware of it by now, the GPU issues take some tight to manifest. For example, if there are GPU issues with the 2016 MBPs, we will get to know of it starting 2018 or 2019 (just when AppleCare is about to expire :) )

So chalk one vote for an MBP without GPU.

6. caramelpolice macrumors regular

The 2012 and 2013 models have a repair program open, but I have never actually heard - anecdotally or otherwise - of any actual widespread failure with those models. (The 2012 Retina models often suffered from display retention, but that's a display issue, not GPU.)

Obviously any computer of any kind can have issues. RAM can fail. iGPUs can fail. CPUs can fail. If it's not widespread or repeatable, though, it shouldn't be a concern to a buyer.

7. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

No offense but just because you have not heard about people having those issues, does not mean it is not there. It is very much there. My office lost a 2012 cause of a GPU failure. They just replaced it with a 2016 and recycled the 2012.

I agree any computer can have issues. I personally think Apple's GPU enabled laptops are not resilient. And I speak from experience having lost more than a couple of MBPs to this issue since 2007.

Ultimately, it is the OP's money. So the OP can choose whether to consider my vote or not :)

8. jsoto thread starter macrumors regular

jsoto

That is what I have also been thinking as well. Thanks for your reply.
    --- Post Merged, May 28, 2017 ---
    Thanks for the reply and input. I am still debating...

9. capelesshero macrumors member

capelesshero

OP, it is great to see people still using the 2010 MBP. I certainly still have mine and it still works like a charm (passed it off to my wife hehe). The only reason I upgraded to the new tbMBP is because I need to run windows 10 which my 2010 model does not support. Off the tangent, one thing I wanted you to take into account is that you are probably only still able to use your 2010 model because of the specs that you acquired with it (i.e. i7 processor, upgraded SSD, and the dGPU). Had you not gotten those specs back in 2010 your MBP would probably not be able to run as smoothly as it is today. And I say probably because I don't know what applications you mostly use. So my advice to you is to get beefier specs if you plan on using your Mac for another 7 years like I am, especially considering the fact that these new MacBooks cannot be upgraded.

10. caramelpolice macrumors regular

And just because you had a 2012 fail doesn't mean it's a widespread issue.

11. jsoto thread starter macrumors regular

jsoto

Very true on all your points. I am still on the 2010 MBP as we speak with external display. It has been very good to me. Not much I can really complain about. I have not upgraded as I have been able to be on supported operating systems with MAC. In the beginning I used Bootcamp, then Parallels, VMware Fusion, to do some remote support. As remote support tool have improved immensely on the MAC. I don't do Bootcamp or virtualization anymore. I do have a work issued Windows Dell Latitude notebook for the times I need Windows. I rarely bring the notebook home from my work office. I do travel with it to our datacenter but at home I can get my work done with just the MBP. I don't see many users on these forums as before talk about 2010 MBP. So I guess we are few out there now.

Thanks for your input.