Purchase now?, Any updates in the rumor mill

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rpaloalto, Apr 30, 2008.

1. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

I have been saving now for more than a year for a mac pro. As of to day I have met my financial goal for a stock mac pro + 20 acd or a nice dell.

With just a little more than a month away for Apple's wwdc. Are their any speculations for a update to the mac pro's? Have the mac pro's seen updates at wwdc before?

With the memory of the mac pro now equal to the rest of the Apple line. I would think their might be something coming, as I always have remembered the pro as having more memory then the rest.

I have waited this long, I know I could wait 5 more weeks. I just don't want to get stuck playing the waiting game. Which I my self have a bad habit of doing.

2. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

mac pro was recently updated, there wont be another until about january, this is going by what is suitable in intels pipeline. I got mine recently and am sooo happy, I only wish more apps made use of all cores, but the main ones i use do so its cool, as apps become more multi-threaded these multi-cored machines will just get quicker, 15min handbrake rips are nice too :) i would go with 1GB ram per cpu core as well from otc.

3. tom. macrumors 6502

tom.

I would think the next update will be around WWDC 09, not this year. The Mac Pro has had insufficient memory for a long, long time. It is done on purpose to spur people into buying their overpriced RAM.

The next update shouldn't be until Nehalem has been released, and Intel have got the processors to Apple. I'm not expecting anything soon.

The only thing I might say could happen, is a couple of new build options, ATi 3870 in crossfire and on its own.

4. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

5. tom. macrumors 6502

tom.

The buyers guide includes updates to build options. It's highly inaccurate for estimating major changes to the Mac Pro, such as GPU/CPU/RAM

6. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Their won't be anything new for a while. There's always the rumors of Cinema Displays getting built-in iSights. But we'll believe that when we see it. If anything, they'll get an update for a better contrast ratio. But I wouldn't count on it, and wouldn't be enough for me to hold off on a purchase now.

7. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Buy now. It's worth it. Machine is awesome. I can't see a processor update until January '09 as well. If the chips are ready in November, we will be playing the waiting game again and it will arrive in January. Longest wait I have ever been through. It's all worth it to buy now.

8. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Likely the only "near-term" upgrade would be the hex-core Dunningtons, as it will work with the Caneland / mPGA604 socket used in the current Tigerton Mac Pros. (EDIT - Disregard this).

I personally am hoping Apple moves to Nehalem for the Mac Pro at Mac World 2009 since the server/workstation versions of that CPU architecture and supporting components are scheduled for release late this year.

9. bigwig macrumors 6502a

From my point of view, a little better CPU/GPU/RAM doesn't make me very excited, though they are of course quite nice. It's the potential for peripheral upgrades that interest me:

Hardware:
    FireWire 3200
    USB 3.0
    Blu-Ray
    10-gigabit Ethernet (the PA Semi PowerPC supports this)
    HDMI & DisplayPort
    eSATA

Software:
    GPU-accelerated video and coprocessing (Apple doesn't do nearly as much in this area as is possible with modern GPUs)

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I want MacWorld '09. I NEED MacWorld '09 to be the release so that I can buy one before going back to J-term...

This is how it will happen...

Apple is NOT dropping FB-DIMMs. It's sick. We don't want to admit it. It's probably true.

They're waiting for Beckton, not Gainstown. The Nehalem Mac Pros will be released at MacWorld '10.

518 days will be peanuts to this.

11. Salavat23 macrumors 6502

Apple will release Nehalem Mac Pros at Macworld '09.

They will also release the Westmere Mac Pros at Macworld '10.

12. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

I'd like to see native eSATA on the new Mac Pros. Also a decent video card offering as well. Not so say that I am unhappy with my 8800GT. I'm plenty happy with it. But Apple has a long, sorted history of royally screwing the pooch in the graphics card department. I'd also like to see Apple hire a developer to write video card drivers, because they are seriously lacking in that department.

That said, I see no reason to upgrade since my Mac Pro's performance is all that I could ask for and more. :D

13. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

a lot of people hope for a lot of things as standard on the pro. thats not the point, the mac pro is different for different people, being sound / video / photography / 3d as the main. if someone is getting a pro for logic, they couldnt care less about the gfx card and as such wouldnt like to be forced to pay for an expensive one, also, small studios often use these for render farms etc, cpu and dont need all the ram, thats why they are configureable .

14. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

Boy, I highly doubt a Mac Pro update will happen anytime soon. But, none of us are Apple employees here, so you can never truly be sure.

More people will think the ACDs are due. If you own a monitor, you could get the Mac Pro, and wait a bit and see on the Cinema Display.

15. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

Mac Pros don't use Tigerton, they are Harpertown. also they don't use the Caneland chipset, they use Seaburg. You won't see a Dunnington Mac Pro.

16. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

The current Mac Pros are great with the exception of the paucity of Pro video card options. Nvidia and ATI make about a dozen Quadro and FireGL pro video cards and Apple offers only one for it's Pro machine, the uber expensive 5600. It should come with a jar of vaseline. :rolleyes:

17. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Well that answers that. Looks like I need to spend this weekend taking a remedial course in Mac Pro architecture. :eek:

Makes sense, however, since Tigertons and Caneland are pure server architectures (low clock speeds but you can shove up to 32 of them on a host).

So it's Nehalem as the next step. :cool:

18. rpaloalto thread starter macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

Not even a simple refresh?
    4 gigs of ram would be a nice start. Apple has dropped their price on ram across the board, just not mac pro.

I would be very happy with a BTO option of having the 3.2 MHZ as a single quad option and a decent price cut on ram. Like they did for the imac and mac books.

I sure like the ACD's as well and would definitely get one if they are updated at wwdc in june.
    I'll try to wait 5 more weeks for wwdc, to see what Steve, might brings us.

19. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

It took Apple 2 years to go from 1GB Standard to 2GB. 4 will come standard in a year or 2.

20. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

yeah, they're fricken' stingy with the ram, my guess is there won't be an interm upgrade(more memory)/price drop.