Purchase option opinions...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by n0id, Apr 16, 2012.

1. n0id macrumors member

So, i have the ability to buy an ipad 1 for $200 (used of course).

The problem is, my spouse has the new ipad (3rd gen) and its gorgeous. I'm afraid I'm going to hate the text (web surfing and reading books) on it.

But the price I'm getting on it, makes me want to save the extra money.

is $300+tax worth the display and extra ram/processing power?

thoughts?

Thanks!

2. KrisEagling macrumors member

KrisEagling

The only thing is I found once I had used the new iPad while I had my 1. So if you can spare the extra cash for the iPad 3 go for it. If you cant and would like your own iPad by all means go for the original. Still a great piece of kit.

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I wouldn't buy it even though price is decent. I had the iPad 1 for about 7 months and while it was a great device at the time, I found the text a bit too blurry to read a book on. The last straw was when I got the iPhone 4 and realized what a huge difference there was and decided to sell my iPad and wait for a retina display.

I remember people going on and on about how the iPad wouldn't have a retina display for 5+ years, how it didn't matter, etc etc. I'm glad I waited because the new iPad is night and day over previous generations. Save up your money and steal your spouses iPad in the meantime. :)

4. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

So worth the money! I read a lot and I noticed on my iPad 2 I would get headaches all the time from the blurry text and now I don't w the new retina display.

5. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

You will hate the lower res of the iPad 1/2 screens after you've seen the 3. That doesn't mean this is a bad deal though--if you buy it, just don't ever look at or hold the iPad 3.

6. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Pony up the extra cash and just get the 3. You'll be glad you did. The screen is worth it IMO.

7. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Plus remember how slow the orignal is web browsing.

8. Akack macrumors 6502a

You've answered what you already know. Get the 3rd gen.

9. donnaw macrumors 65816

It also depends on what you plan to use your iPad for. Remember the iPad 1 only has 256 mb of memory. The 5.0 OS update caused a lot of low memory issues for a bunch of iPad 1 owners. As apps get updated and new apps come out I think you will run into more and more memory issues. My old iPad 1 does ok for my grandkids and their simple games but it does struggle a bit with even just surfing these days.

Personally I would stay away from an iPad 1 these days. If you don't want to spring for the new one then at least go for an iPad 2. I think you'll be much more satisfied with the performance.