Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Markgnyc2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2013
I wanted to know if anyone had experience buying a Total Wireless or Straight Talk phone and only using over WiFi, without service? This would be for an 8 year old and I don't want to get an iPod touch because the A8 is old and cant play some games that he would want to play. He has an iPad already and asks for a phone, but I still think that is too young to activate a phone. However, they are selling these phones (iPhone SE) for $139 at Best Buy and directly from either Total Wireless or Straight Talk. Just want to know if its possible to use this way, basically as an updated iPod touch? Would I be continually prompted to activate service?

Cergman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2013
my tesla
I did this over a year ago back when Boost was offering the SE for $89. Never purchased service from them, only the phone.

It comes with a (sprint?) SIM card installed which you will need to go through the iPhone's setup process. Once it's set up, you'll never be prompted to activate service and you can even ditch the SIM. Keep it somewhere safe though, because you'll need the SIM to set the phone up again should you ever restore it. Works absolutely perfectly as an iPod.

Reactions: Jovijoker

Markgnyc2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2013
I did this over a year ago back when Boost was offering the SE for $89. Never purchased service from them, only the phone.

It comes with a (sprint?) SIM card installed which you will need to go through the iPhone's setup process. Once it's set up, you'll never be prompted to activate service and you can even ditch the SIM. Keep it somewhere safe though, because you'll need the SIM to set the phone up again should you ever restore it. Works absolutely perfectly as an iPod.

Thanks for the info Cergman. I just didn't want to do this and get him all excited, and then it doesn't work...

aKansasKid

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2015
I have a Straight Talk and a Total Wireless SE (used on Page Plus). What Cergman says is right. Neither of my SEs would activate without leaving the provided Tracfone SIM card in when they're first turned on. After initial activation, just remove the SIM and store it.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I have been wondering about this myself because my grandson has been asking for an iPod for a while, but they are just so outdated at this point.

So glad to see it's possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.