Purchase Rev B. or Rev C. Macbook Air?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by blairh, Aug 30, 2009.

1. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

REV B.

13.3" MacBook Air 1.6GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB Hard Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M (MB543LL/A)

$1100.00 NEW.

OR

REV C. (Base Model)

13.3" MacBook Air 1.86GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB Hard Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M (MC233LL/A)

$1394.00 NEW.

If you had to choose between the two, what would you pick? I'd love to save the $300.00 if possible. If it's a good option. Also please don't recommend a refub MBA. Not interested.

2 additional follow up questions:

Are there any known issues with the Rev B. that was cleared up with Rev C? Also, are all the multi-touch gestures available with the Rev B model? Especially interested in three fingers up/down to jump to the top and bottom of web pages in Firefox. Also the two finger swipe to go back and forth on web pages in Firefox.

Thanks.

UPDATE:

This thread about "lines" on the REV B. is really scaring off that potential purchase. Thoughts? Should I wait till I can afford REV C?

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1847655&tstart=0

2. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I gave the Rev B MBA 1.6Ghz to my girlfriend for her birthday a while back, no issues at all. Remember, the vocal minority is the group you hear, not the happy majority.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

4. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

For those prices, I would go with option C: The refurb SSD 128GB model. It will outperform both of the mechanical drive versions.

Its 1349 refurbished.

5. Doju macrumors 68000

This undoubtedly.

6. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

Not comfortable buying refurbished computers. Yes I know it's totally safe, but it's just a personal feeling. Also just gonna be doing simple tasks on the Air, really don't need the added performance of a SSD. It's gonna be option A or B only.

7. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Your money and your call, but it comes with the same warranty and the same return policy. You don't like it, you don't keep it. There is no difference besides the box. Some even like refurbs as they think they get a more inspected unit because they have been looked at twice.

I would reconsider, as the SSD is going to make everything much more snappy and keep resale value. Plus you get 8 more GB of space. It is more computer for less.

8. watchrabbit macrumors newbie

Option A

Easy decision: Option 1. You won't notice the difference in speed anyway. I have a base MBA Rev A (1,6/80GB) and it 's a perfect companion. Light, and does the job. I have the newest MB Unibody 17" with 2,66 and it should be lights away from speed. Thing is: for the MBA typical use (Safari, Mail, notepad), it isn't. Sure, you want to do some serious photo processing, it's a different story. But you don't. So keep the money and buy the Rev B :)

Why do you guys keep telling him to buy a refurbished unit, even after he kindly asked you not to? He doesn't want one. Period! Respect his wishes!

9. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

And probably lightyears ahead, too! ;)

10. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

watchrabbit,

thanks for the suggestions. i'm gonna get a Rev B I've decided. Also find it weird how forum members suggest a refurb when I clearly state I don't want one in my OP.

11. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

It is because you didn't put it in your first two sentences :cool: Nobody reads that far down.

Actually, I think they were just trying to help you out. Most of us would like to get a better bang for our buck. We are techies and we have a very expensive hobby.

12. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

I wouldn't buy a MBA WITHOUT SSD. Period.
    Did you check the price of a 1.86 Gb rev. B with SSD?

13. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

Cheapest new Rev B I've found online is $1300.

Found a Rev B. 120 HD for $1120 locally. So the SSD model is $180 more. Is it worth the additional price performance wise? Keep in mind I'm doing the most basic tasks with this machine (web, word, email, itunes).

14. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Having owned all three revisions, absolutely get the Rev C.

15. macboy4 macrumors regular

YES!! The SSD is worth $180.

Also, the lines issue was NOT resolved with the Rev C and it is fairly prevalent. I owned 3 Rev Bs (Apple replaced two of them) and 2 out of 3 had the lines. I've also never seen a floor model at an Apple Store or Best Buy that didn't have the lines.

16. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Just explaining the refurbs in more detail. Perhaps he didn't know the warranty and return policy was the same.

Just want him/her to be fully informed and make a good purchase. In the end though I couldn't care less because its his money.

Have fun with your air!