purchase this macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dubstar, Jan 14, 2011.

1. dubstar macrumors member

I am in the market for a laptop and want a Mac of some sort, and will probably be getting a used one. I will be using it for Logic/Final Cut, but not as my main machine. Other than that it will be used for other everyday computing.

I had been set on getting a used black macbook, but recently saw this one advertised locally for $550.

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP13 it is the 2.2ghz Core 2 Duo 15 inch. on the left.

Would you recommend this laptop? I am not familiar with the older MBP's and any issues they may have had that I need to be aware of.

There is also a mint condition Black Macbook for sale locally for $625 with these specs: 2.0 Core 2 duo, 2 GB RAM, 160GB Hard Drive.

Which would you recommend? I like the black, but could used the extra screen size.

2. axu539 macrumors 6502a

While normally I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a MacBook Pro over a MacBook, I think the MBP you are looking at might be the one with the faulty graphics card. I do believe Apple still covers those even out of warranty though, so if you can verify that it works fine right now, it's not a big deal to have it fixed if the graphics card does fail. Also, the MBP definitely has a lot more power overall.

3. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

That is the graphics card which is faulty, however due to Apples Coverage Id be tempted to say get the MBP, as its more powerful and has a better screen.

4. dubstar thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, so say the card doesn't fail until after their replacement period. How much would it cost me to get it fixed?

thanks for the quick replies.

5. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Somewhere in the ballpark of $800...

6. dubstar thread starter macrumors member

S#&@, so it's a pretty big gamble then. I think their program is 4 years after the purchase date, and it seems that was probably in late 2007.

7. axu539 macrumors 6502a

There's also a chance that the owner already swapped out the GPU with that coverage, in which case you'd be completely fine. You should ask.

8. dubstar thread starter macrumors member

Very good point, I will ask.