Purchased a 2nd Hand iPhone 5s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zvalliji, Mar 2, 2015.

1. zvalliji macrumors newbie

Hi Guys, looking for some expert advice.

Ok, so I made a bad mistake and brought a 2nd hand iPhone 5S device from a private seller about 3 months ago. I brought the phone knowing the front-facing camera wasn't working but because the phone was still under warranty, I assumed I could get it fixed. Up to this point, i've had no issues with the phone. I took it into an apple store to get it fixed, but they informed me the phone had suffered water damage with its previous owner and wouldn't accept the phone. The question I want to ask is, in your expert opinion, is the phone likely to stop working anytime soon considering i've had no issues with it so far? There is no residual water inside now.

2. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

3. ann713 macrumors 6502a

The after effects of water damage are unpredictable. Your phone could stop working tomorrow, next week, next month, or it will be just fine.

4. zvalliji thread starter macrumors newbie

Wouldn't the phone show signs of problems along the way? Up to this point, it has been fine.

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

6. ann713 macrumors 6502a

Honestly couldn't tell you. I also had an iPod touch that I knowingly purchased with water damage (sensor was bright red) but everything functioned 100%. Device was barely under a year old. One day it died and replacing the battery didn't bring it back. There were no signs leading up to that point. Who knows what was wrong.

If you're worried, I would just sell it off now. Whether or not you'd want to disclose the water damage is entirely up to you. Selling it as "as is" would be for the best IMO.

7. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

That sucks that the seller didnt disclose that it had water damage. What a trap! Guess that happens.

8. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

...and thats why your front facing camera doesn't work. Got wet, corrosion all over the connector. Open it up and clean the connector with isopropyl alcohol if you feel safe doing so. To check for water, look in the headphone jack and there is (should be) a white dot. If that white dot is red, then the phone has seen water. Once it's dry, the iPhones generally don't cause any more issues.Getting wet isn't as big of a deal as USING it when wet.

9. nox5 macrumors 6502

There is no water sensor in headphone jack anymore since iPhone 5. Those sensors are behind sim tray and on motherbord itself.

I agree front cam may not work because of the corrosion on the connector in top right corner inside the iPhone. Clean it using alcohol and brush.

10. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

That's right, thanks for the correction! Either way, you should always check the LCI's prior to purchasing a used phone second-hand.