Purchased a Macbook Pro, Desktop Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xaneshx, Jun 11, 2008.

1. xaneshx macrumors newbie

I started out with a Macintosh Classic II when I was little and I hated it with passion, I was jealous of my friends PC that ran windows 95. Ever since then I have been a Windows power user and have used all the operating systems since 95.
    Today marks a new day in my life as I became a mac user once again and it has been a truly amazing experience. The operating system is very similar to linux but it is very well polished; moreover, it blows Vista out of the water (I only wish it had the game support vista had, no problemo though, bootcamp solves that) I have been tinkering around with my desktop and customizing stuff here and there but I have come across a problem with my hard drive icon on my desktop. Why is it that the informational text is squeezed up and is not fully displaying my hard drive info. (I have provided a screenshot)

[​IMG]
    I would really appreciate it if someone could help me with my little problem.

2. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

If on Leopard (OS X 10.5), right-click the desktop>hit "Show View Options"

From there you can alter the icon size and grid spacing. If you enlarge the icons to anything more than 76x76, the text becomes fully shown. If you are like me and like to keep the icons at default size or small (i.e., 40x40 or so), then you should expand the grid spacing. That should also fully show the text.

3. xaneshx thread starter macrumors newbie

I changed the icon size to 80x80 and the grid spacing to max and it's still cutting off...The font size doesn't let more text show either...

4. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I have never had the info turned on, but when I did, it looked just like yours. The info is scrunched up, and incorrect. I could not figure a way to correct it, so just un-checked it again. If I want HD info I just pop open the IStat Pro widget

5. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Do you have the "Arrange by:" option set to something? I'm getting all the text and it's set to Date Modified.

6. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Imagine an invisible square fence that surrounds each icon. This fence is the border that prevents an icon from becoming ridiculously large. If the text for "item info" is too long, the fence will cut off this information. Unfortunately, there's no easy, customizable way to fix this, except for having fewer gigabytes on your hard drive, in this case.

I'll admit that I don't think too many Mac users use this feature, as you can get this same information by opening a Finder window. Hopefully it's not life or death in your case!:rolleyes:

7. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

it works with my External, but not my Internal HDD. Both 320gb.

Attached Files: