Purchased a new iMac...now what?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sportdan31, Jul 25, 2011.

1. sportdan31 macrumors member

Well, I finally came to the realization yesterday that it was time to upgrade to a new iMac. The final nail in the coffin was twofold. A cd is lodged in my 6 year old Power PC G5, and it continues to make a nosie as if it's ejecting, but of course it's not. And secondly, I read where there will be no more new updates or support for the G5 PPCs. Additionally, the iMac is very much showing it's age. My 9 year old son has now assumed ownership...lucky him!

Fast forward to last night where I picked up my shiny new iMac. I purchased the 21.5" base model, and it's plenty fast and powerful for me. So, I ask what programs would you recommend getting? I will use the computer mostly for email, web browsing, light photo editing, music, office, etc. We also have an iPad 2, so I imagine the two will go hand in hand with one another.

I saw Numbers set up on an iMac and thought that might be a useful program. Does anyone use that for budgeting?

Thanks!

2. edenwaith macrumors 6502a

edenwaith

It's great to see that computers are living well past 3 years, which used to be the life of a computer a number of years ago. But as you mentioned, being a PPC Mac is going to limit it, and more and more software is going to become Intel-only.

For new software, I would assume you'd want to find the most recent versions of whatever software you commonly used on your iMac G5.

Enjoy the new iMac.

3. mac-ho macrumors member

E-Mail, Web, and iPhoto will not require additional software. You bought a friggen MAC!!! You might want to get iPhoto 11. It's about 14.99 at the App. Store. If you want to put a donkey head on your grandma you might get Adobe Photoshop Elements 9. $79.99 with the $20.00 rebate.

4. OW22 macrumors 6502

OW22

My previous iMac lasted 6 years. 2006 Intel iMac 20in.

Never had one issue with it until a few months ago when the HDD started clicking. I had Time Machine so all data was safe so no problems. It died, but all it needs is a replacement HDD and it would be as good as new.

Got the new iMac last week and hopefully it will last for many years as well. Prior to Mac's I was using Dell's, Gateways etc and they would last two years at most.

5. Psilocybin macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

You bought an iMac and you don't know what to do with it?

6. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

The Mac will come with everything for your needs minus the office software. I have Office for Mac, but seriously considering getting the iWorks suite.

7. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

8. RiceKilla macrumors member

This is a tough one.....how about just enjoying it and using it?

9. MSM Hobbes macrumors 6502

Indeed, an awesome beautiful & powerful machine... just take your time, learn what it can do, and then as you are playing, and thinking, jot some notes down of what you'd like / wish that it could do,,, if only it had this or that s/w. Also, look at the hobbies / interests that you / your family has,,, what s/w could you tie together with those? Read other threads / forums, see what others are doing,,, again, explore (with open mind and patience! ;) ),,, and have fun.

10. mac-ho macrumors member

My wife bought a piano, and I do not know what to do with it!!

11. bigcreek macrumors member

This made me laugh out loud!

12. Sean-G macrumors newbie

13. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Just a couple handy little programs for starters (google download links yourself)

Caffeine: keeps your computer from sleeping or dimming display as long as it's enabled. Disables or enables with one click from the status bar.

ScreenShader: allows to further dim the brightness of your screen, especially useful late at night when minimum brightness is still too bright,

smcFanControl: to control temperature inside the iMac, especially the fan RPM (speed), in case they are too noisy or whatnot.

BetterTouchTool: a complete must in my book. Allows for customized gestures with both trackpads and magic mouse (more effective on the trackpad of course).