iPhone XS Purchased a New iPhone Xs despite Negative Reviews

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 14, 2018
I'd like to share my experience and give the iPhone Xs a thumbs up.

After spending a fair amount of time here and reading about all the issues with the new iPhones, I decided to give it a try anyways.

I had an 8 plus that was beginning to have issues, and was out of warranty, so I went ahead and purchased a new Xs 64gb in silver from AT&T. I had it delivered to the house using a service they call "Enjoy". A nice lady delivered it new in a sealed box, with a scheduled time between 3 and 5 pm. (She got here at 5:03 p.m.), offered to set it up for me and transfer my data, but I explained I wanted to set it up as a new phone. She let me go through the basic set up menus, got it up and running, plugged it in to charge, and she was out the door 10 minutes later.

The "Enjoy" service even sells accessories like cases and chargers if you need one. Pretty smart marketing, but a reasonable service if you ask me.

While we were setting up the phone I asked her about some of the things I have read here like poor cell service, yellow screens, quality issues, etc. She explained that she sets up all kinds of phones not just Apple, but Apple phones are the most popular, and she has not seen any of the issues I described. She said that the phones seem to be pretty reliable.

I set my phone up as new, reinstalled all my programs, synced with iCloud and my Apple ID and had no issues whatsoever.

I and am really enjoying the phone so far. Took me a little while to get used to the new swiping methods, and lack of a home button, but I have to say Face ID is really fast even in very low light, and the phone in general seems really fast. Took a few test photos and made a few calls. So far very impressed. Overall quality looks pretty good, and I like the size of the Xs in my hand.

They only thing I had issues with was connecting my Apple Watch 4. I ended up doing a reset and reconnecting as new, and now it works great.

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
Sometimes I wonder if I was just lucky with a launch day Xs max 512GB that worked out of the box, after reading all the horror stories here. My only issue was it sticking to the 2.4 ghz network on a dual frequency Airport Extreme router, fixed in an update.

In poor signal areas I have the same AT&T reception and service, if not a little better, as my Qualcomm iPhone X and Qualcomm 7+ on another line (which I still had when I bought the Xs Max). In strong signal areas my Xs Max is 2x faster than my X on a separate line. And with my X the signal is so poor on Cheyenne Mountain that I usually have LTE turned off to go onto 3/4G mode, even with the Qualcomm chipset.

akash.nu

macrumors 604
May 26, 2016
Sometimes I wonder if I was just lucky with a launch day Xs max 512GB that worked out of the box, after reading all the horror stories here.
I think majority of the users actually don’t have any issues, otherwise it would have been all over the mainstream news. My Xs Max is perfect from day 1 as well.

Reactions: Jovijoker

Vermifuge

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2009
Glad you are enjoying your new phone.You shouldn't t let an echo chamber like this discussion board sway your decisions. Options tend to be polarized where only the loudest voices get heard.

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 14, 2018
Glad you are enjoying your new phone.You shouldn't t let an echo chamber like this discussion board sway your decisions. Options tend to be polarized where only the loudest voices get heard.
I agree. I used to rely on reviews and user comments a lot more than I do now. Nowadays you can read glowing reviews on one site, and a bunch of negative reviews on another. Still I hesitated but glad I made the purchase.

The only thing so far is after a day of using it in the car, I found that it likes to unlock if it's pointed anywhere near my face even when I am just setting it down or placing it in a car holder.

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Glad you’re enjoying. I’ve also had zero issues with mine and it’s easily the best of the five iPhones I’ve owned. Don’t so much mind that FaceID is much more sensitive than expected - I often glance at my phone from odd angles to check out notifications.

I’ve no doubt some people have had issues but they always appear worse on a forum like this. Add to that, the threads about the issues get bloated because the anti-FaceID, anti-notch brigade like to throw coal on the fire. Stripping out negative comments that relate to potential defects with units, most of the highly critical posts I’ve read are either ill informed (users who don’t even own or use the device), overblown or unreasonable. For example, “FaceID doesn’t work when i’m wearing a balaclava!”. Surely if it’s cold enough that you need to cover your head and face, you’d also be wearing gloves, rendering touchID useless too! And that’s before the “Apple just doesn’t innovate anymore! Steve Jobs is turning in his grave!” crowd get involved. Plenty of criticism but no idea what this missing innovation actually is.

Reactions: OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

Vermifuge

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2009
I agree. I used to rely on reviews and user comments a lot more than I do now. Nowadays you can read glowing reviews on one site, and a bunch of negative reviews on another. Still I hesitated but glad I made the purchase.

The only thing so far is after a day of using it in the car, I found that it likes to unlock if it's pointed anywhere near my face even when I am just setting it down or placing it in a car holder.
Let me/us know if you have any Bluetooth brown outs. I have had weird BT behavior compared to my past iPhones. Otherwise very happy with it.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
These forums impart a very unrealistic slant to iPhone experience. Forum posters are a very tiny subset of actual iPhone owners.

People tend to post here when they have problems with device, few people come here to post how uneventful their experience is.

A few have unreasonable expectations or OCD issues. Still other have some axe to grind and like to bash iPhone.

With that said, you can gain some insight into real issues that do crop up. You can not produce hundreds of millions of devices and not have some go bad or sneak by even the best quality control efforts.

Glad you like your iPhone and should you experience any issues be sure to consult the Apple store and/or online Apple help. In my experience they usually help if you are reasonable with them an don’t cop an attitude from the outset.

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 14, 2018
Let me/us know if you have any Bluetooth brown outs. I have had weird BT behavior compared to my past iPhones. Otherwise very happy with it.
No problems with mine. Have it synced with my car via bluetooth, and my Bose headphones. No issues at all in fact in the car it connects much better and the sound is clearer than my 8 plus.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2009
No problems with mine. Have it synced with my car via bluetooth, and my Bose headphones. No issues at all in fact in the car it connects much better and the sound is clearer than my 8 plus.
Never had an issue with my X but suddenly after a long drive the BT cut out (along with maps) and it suddenly reconnected 10 min later. but i don't drive a lot so its hard hard to recreate.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
I was a little worried from all the negative comments about the XS on these forums, but I’m glad I ordered one anyhow. Mine has been absolutely flawless. By far my favourite iPhone so far.

Reactions: OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
You bought the most advanced iPhone ever, and the only difference between the XS, and the XS Max is finger fatigue....
Yeah, I was surprised that Apple gave the Xs and Xs Max the same camera, as in previous years phones the Plus models got the dual camera that was missing on the regular models.