Purchased a New rMBP Yesterday

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Trek2100, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Trek2100 macrumors 6502a

Trek2100

Wow, what a difference 7 1/2 years makes. My 7 1/2 year old (late 2006) 17" MBP was finally biting the dust. Not bad considering the machine was turned on over 8 hours a day and many times up to 14. I only replaced the battery once after a little over 3 years. The second battery was really weak and a number of issues were cropping up like over heating, slow and a not so bright display. The new 13" rMBP is really fast and the display is awesome. The smaller display is taking a little getting used to. I've been transferring files, installing software and forwarding emails from my old MBP since 3:00pm and it's now 3:36am. The keyboard is much more responsive than the old MBP. I can't find anything to complain about, at least not yet, but I expect that I won't. It's time for bed. Night night, or should I say, good morning y'all.:)

2. mcarling macrumors 65816

Congratulations! I'm curious why you choose to go from 17" to 13" rather than to 15".

ps: Don't forget to take your 2006 MBP to a computer recycler after you finish transferring your files.

3. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

or Apple. They do accept their own machines.

4. Quackers macrumors 6502a

5. Trek2100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trek2100

I chose the smaller size from an economic standpoint. When I bought the 17" it was intended for my wedding photography business to use on the go. I grant you the 15" would be nice but I could not justify the expense. Besides, I have a 27" quad core i7 that was a BTO. This rMBP is intended as a real laptop, light weight and sits on my lap while watching moves, etc. I'm retired and enjoying life.

I'll be keeping my old MBP. It has an XP partition that contains software for updating frequencies and trunk systems on my scanners through Radio Reference. The Mavericks Bootcamp only supports Win 7 and 8. When the time arrives I'll purchase a used Windows laptop to perform those chores.

6. teflonsheep macrumors newbie

Congrats on the new laptop (and the retirement hah). I was debating between the 13 and 15 myself, but ended up with the 15 because i do play some games on it. Anyway I've had zero buyers remorse, and its hard not to marvel at that screen every time i open it up.

7. AppleUSA macrumors member

Congrats! Love mine.

What email client are you using?

Thanks!!

8. caribiner23 macrumors regular

caribiner23

Congrats!

I went from a 15" MBP (2008) to a 13" rMBP. I couldn't justify the cost of the new 15", plus this new one is easier on my shoulder when it's in my bag. :)

9. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Good choice! Welcome to the 13" rMBP Club !!!! :D

10. Trek2100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trek2100

I use Apple Mail which I've been using since I bought the old MBP (2006). I tried MS Entourage but didn't like it. I have a number of email accounts. My main account is on Verizon and I have Google accounts plus all the Apple accounts; Mac.com, Me.com and iCloud.com. Apple Mail has never let me down.