Purchased a Seagate Freeagent Desk 1.5GB

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rich.smith, Mar 26, 2009.

1. rich.smith macrumors member

Despite the dire warnings about the Seagate drives that I read all over the place, I decided to buy this drive. Dell had a great price of $129 with free shipping.

It is going to supplement existing storage capabilities as a secondary backup so I'm covered if the drive does experience any of the problems that others have experienced. So far the drive is running great. I have copied nearly 800GB of data to it with no issues. I have the drive connected to an AEBS. I have been able to stream movies from the drive with no problems. It looks like Seagate has resolved the firmware issues that have plagued the drive in the past.

My only issue was that it was a bit of a pain to reformat the drive. For some reason disk utility would not format the drive until I created and then deleted two partitions.

The drive is huge (1.5TB), very quiet, nice looking, and fast enough for my needs.

2. dubels macrumors 6502

Thanks for the post. I am looking for a new drive for time machine back up and data storage. Ill keep this in mind. Do post up if you do encounter any problems.

3. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Never had that with mine but I went with two partitions off the start and the two normal ones I have both formatted/partitioned into a single volume first try.
    Agreed damn fast and real quiet in my experience.

That is what I am doing with mine right now only problem I can see is some genius decided you don't need a power switch on it...

4. Bradalogical macrumors newbie

I received and set up the 1tb version yesterday and although it's only been part of my set up for 24hours I have been wholly impressed with it.

It's discreet, fast, exceptionally quiet and compliments my Penryn MacBook Pro really nicely - I know style really shouldn't be that much of a factor when considering backup storage (though it's also gonna serve as my primary Logic Pro drive) but it certainly helps - the whole underlighting thing is a bit strange, makes it look a bit like a japanese street racing car, but on the whole loving it so far.

Have too read about the problems, so have everything I couldn't possibly bear to lose backed up on a cheap £40 USB2 Toshiba external, which is bigger, louder, uglier and has a hideous blue light on the front whilst powered up which stays on even after you release it - however it serves the purpose. It's nowhere near up to speed of the fw800 seagate, but it does the job and allows me to abuse the seagate with Logic without the fear of losing everything were it to go wrong.

I'm sure there's much better out there, but as I've said numerous times - really impressed with the Seagate so far.

Here's hoping I'm not tempting fate...