Purchased a usbc hub from mono price.

ktcifone

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2009
I purchased a usbc hub from monoprice for my 2018 mini.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=302&cp_id=10330&cs_id=3020207&p_id=34179&seq=1&format=2

I have 2 TB2 devices a OWC dock and a OWC raid array the array has a blown out TB2 port from a power hit. I was hoping to get some extra USBc ports off the mini but the Apple USbc-TB2 adapter wasn't recognized when using this hub.

Other usbc devices were fine.
Figured id save some others the trouble. Adapter works fine plugged directly into the mini. Other usbc devices work without a hitch and performance is fine.

Last edited:

Stephen.R

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
That's because this is a USB-C hub, not a Thunderbolt "hub".

However that is quite nice for USB uses - I haven't seen many USB hubs with both Type-C and Type-A downstream, and 10Gbit speed.

ktcifone

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2009
This is a pretty good hub overall wanted to make sure that people understand it wont work with apple's TB3 adapters.
tempting price and good look and performance.

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
Here's one more case where "the single port form factor" (USB-c) makes distinguishing form factor v. function difficult and confusing.

With the USB-a form factor, and the thunderbolt port form factor, it was easy to tell "which port was for which function". No more.

And things get worse with the new USB 3.2 and USB 4.0 standards...

Stephen.R

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
the thunderbolt port form factor
There is no “thunderbolt port form factor”. Before it used USB-c it used Mini DisplayPort ports.

At least with USB-c modern intel controllers allow fallback mode where a display or hub/dock can operate as either a TB3 or USB-3.1 device depending on the host computer port.

Reactions: ixxx69