Purchased AirPort Extreme (5th gen) on ebay

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by PeteyV, Jan 23, 2012.

1. PeteyV macrumors member

OK.... So i won an airport extreme 5th gen which is what it stated in the auction. I got the router in the mail today with the original packaging. The specs on the box indicated that it was the newest 5th gen with the model number but the model number on the router says A1143 which I think means that its the old router. And in airport utility it says that it is the 2nd generation router. Am I missing something? Or did I just get hustled?

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I think you got scammed.
    I would ask the buyer first- as it is a courtesy before jumping to pay pall.
    Also was the box shrink wrapped?
    What is the feedback
    worst comes to worst, paypal will deal with it if you are the buyer :rolleyes:

3. PeteyV thread starter macrumors member

I asked the seller first why he's getting rid of it and he went on saying "you are not going to take it apart and put bad internals in it! I am a trust worthy ebayer" That was kind of a red flag but he had the packaging and everything with it so I went ahead and bid on it. I paid $125 for it. I just emailed him letting him know whats going on but most likely ill have to paypal dispute it. The router was listed as used so the box was not shrink wrapped. And his feedback was 5 lol.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Look at the order number on the Extreme. If it starts with MD, then its a 5th gen. MC, is a 4th. Those things are very hard, near impossible to take apart and put back together again without damaging something. Lastly, what does Airport Utility say it is?

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Sounds like the seller upgraded to a 5th gen and used the box to sell you his 2nd gen AEBS. Like others have said, see what Airport Utility says for generation. If it is indeed a 2nd gen, u paid to much obviously.

I recently grabbed a new 5th gen one from eBay for 155.

6. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

According to this page, you have a 2nd generation router, it's not even simultaneous dual band.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirPort_Extreme_802.11n

I would file the chargeback based on fraud ASAP. Stories like this make me hesitent to use ebay anymore.

Best of luck!

7. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

$125 for a 2nd hand APE sounds well overpriced even if the package had contained what it was supposed to, what do these things cost new in stores? You could buy a new comparable or even better router from another manufacturer for that price.

Yeah, it won't be white with a shiny apple logo on top, but will the extra hassle of dealing with chargebacks and whatnot really be worth it in the end? :p

8. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Sounds like you got scammed. Lucky that you caught it. File a claim with eBay, they'll take care of you.

To save yourself future headaches, a refurb 4th Gen (one previous to current) APE is $129 direct from Apple and includes the same warranty as a new one. HERE is the location.

9. fupresti macrumors regular

I just picked up a 5th Gen Warehouse Deal from Amazon for 139.00, and based on the feedback of others I think it was a pretty great deal.

10. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

Quite overpriced on ebay.
    I picked up a 5th gen and 2 - 4th gens and didn't pay over $60 shipped for any of them.

To the OP, keep that wikipedia page on bookmark if you're going to ebay some Apple items. Some sellers say 5th Gen Airport but somewhere in the details they give the model number which you can then cross-reference to see which they are selling.
    You have to do your own due diligence and read that auction page top to bottom, if you end up with a model not mentioned anywhere on the page, report them.

11. PeteyV thread starter macrumors member

Just a follow up. I messaged the buyer he said that he was not trying to deceive me (doubt it) but he wanted me to send it back. I however told him to refund me $100 and he actually did. I put it back on ebay and sold it for $49. I made money on his fraud attempt lol.

12. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

How did you pull this off?

13. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

You got lucky that it resolved so easily. If you want an AEBS, you can get them for $150 refurbed directly from Apple.

14. PeteyV thread starter macrumors member

I ended up picking up a TC 2TB off of amazon.com but shipping time is 1-2 weeks.... Are these on backorder or something?

15. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

Stole it at the last minute.
    Actually it was labeled that the power supply 'may' or may not be bad. The 110 plug section that connects into the front of the power adapter box had a short and I had an extra plug. So I switched them and it fired up. Been using it since.

16. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

Hmm. eBay? My parents' house needs a new router, but I don't really feel like plunking down $180 on it.

17. camardelle macrumors 6502

I contacted an eBay seller after no one bid on an airport extreme and he gave me a bottom line price of $119 delivered. He set up an auction and I bought it using the buy it now option. It worked without issue.