Purchased aluminum MacBook Pro and I love it! Any tips?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Neil1138, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Neil1138 macrumors regular

Today I finally sucked it up and bought the new MBP for $1899 with my student discount. I got a wireless printer for $30 and I want to get a wireless mouse even though I love the trackpad. Any suggestions? I am thinking Logitech nano VX.

Also, are there any recommendations for MacBook settings? Like display settings or anything software wise? I also am going to need a word, powerpoint, ect suite...

Office for Mac or iWork???

Thanks, I'll post up pictures later, it's late over here and i'm tired.

2. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Get a good colorsync profile (you can find a lot in the forums) and, get good headphones. I think my MBP sounds great.

3. Buzz Law macrumors newbie

I'm just wondering.... How much is the student discount at the apple store?

I live in Toronto, Canada and the basic unibody MBP retails for $2149.99 at Best Buy, etc. What is the percentage or price drop with a student discount at the Apple store?

4. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

5. Buzz Law macrumors newbie

6. kousuke18 macrumors regular

The student discounts are all $100 off the retail price in both Canada and the U.S.

7. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

That's a link to the Canadian Apple Store. Look again.

8. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

Congrats... I'm loving my 2.53, awesome machine.

Before you drop $ for office or iWork, give NeoOffice a try. It's free... and is a great alternative to the commercial offerings.

9. Neil1138 thread starter macrumors regular

i just hooked up my wireless printer and its the best free thing that I've ever gotten! :D. It works perfectly among all the laptops in my house.

One more quesiton:

My iPhone has always been synced with my desktop which has all my music, pictures, ect. Now I have this MacBook Pro so what am i supposed to do?? Do I just move my music over? When I sync and update my iPhone to 2.2 on my Macbook will i lose my backups and stuff? How am I going to get my apps back?

I was thinking that the appstore would remember what apps I've downloaded when I click on them to download again... wont It say "you have already purchased this app, please download it again" or something. Help

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Congrats on your splendid new MBP and well done. May both you and your MBP live long and prosper together.

I have a MBP and I'm very happy with it. However, as a lot of my work is writing and editing - and the work world in which I operate is almost exclusively Windows - I found Office an absolute must. Apple fans swear by iWork - and I don't doubt it's excellent - but most of the people I work with use Word, so for me, Office for Mac was an absolute necessity.

Cheers and good luck

11. nick9191 macrumors 68040

You can move all your music, videos, apps over to your Mac.

The easiest way to copy everything over is to let Apple do it. Make an appointment at the Apple store and bring your Mac and your PC and they'll do it for free.

If your doing it yourself, in iTunes, in Music, select all music, then copy it to an external hard drive or a flash drive or CD's/DVD's, then copy it back into iTunes on your Mac. Same for apps, videos etc.

Alternatively if you don't have an external hard drive or flash drive or blank CD/DVD's, on the Mac, go to system preferences, then sharing, then select file sharing, then set permissions to read/write, then go to options and select file transfer by SMB. Then on the PC, go to Windows Explorer and type in the address bar \\Your Macs Name. Your Macs name is on the sharing panel in system preferences on the Mac. Then you should be able to copy your things over the network to the Mac.

Hope that wasn't to complicated.

12. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

i love my mighty mouse, but some people swear by the Nano. Also if you need to work with Windows Office files, Office for Mac is a must. All the others are not 100% compatible.

13. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

14. weekend warrior macrumors member

I have a Logitech 450 nano. It's a great mouse, i tried the VX but didnt like the overall fell and extra buttons. But i bought it primarily for the nano USB reciever, because my PC laptop doesnt have bluetooth. For a MBP I would look for something bluetooth.

15. Neil1138 thread starter macrumors regular

I ended up buying the logitech vx nano because I like the way it felt and the look of it next to the macbook pro. The Apple mighty mouse was cool but It was white and I really didnt like the way it scrolled. I'm not too worried about the USB ports cause I have a wireless printer in my house and the only USB cable I ever plug in is the iphone cable to sync it.

I transferred my Itunes library using the tutorial given by Nick9191. Thank you very much.

I also decided to get iWork instead of Office for Mac. For the price of Office I got iWork and the Logitech nano vx. I really am liking pages and keynote. Thanks guys

16. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I transferred my Itunes library using the tutorial given by Nick9191. Thank you very much.

No problem.

I also decided to get iWork instead of Office for Mac. For the price of Office I got iWork and the Logitech nano vx. I really am liking pages and keynote. Thanks guys

iWork is much better. Note however it only retains partial compatibility with Office. It uses its own format, if you want to open a document, slide show, spreadsheet, in Office you will need to go to File, then Export and select Word, Power Point, Excel etc. It shouldn't take long to get used to, and is not much of a hassle, and the hassle is certainly worth it over using the pile of mess that is Office 2008.

17. PeterQVenkman macrumors 68020

Just use Neo Office. Better compatibility and it's free. It's been rock solid for me and I love not waiting ten years for Office to boot up.

18. Freyqq macrumors 68040

1. open office now has a mac version so use that if you want a free alternative
    2. mac Office 2008 is much better if you don't mind spending money on it