Purchased An Ipod Touch 16gb Today

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by connoisseur, May 15, 2008.

1. connoisseur macrumors member

THINKING THE NOTE PAD AND MAPS APP WOULD BE INCLUDED
    is the extra $19 worth it for the apps

2. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

It's worth it but it should have been installed on yours. You should be able to get it for free, although exactly how escapes me.

3. vi2867 macrumors 6502

vi2867

I purchased an iPod Touch 32GB in March and it came loaded with apps. Did you purchase it from an Apple Store? If you did I would take it back...

4. connoisseur thread starter macrumors member

thanks for your reply apple gave me a $20 rebate off the Touch that I have because its not the new one with the update installed out the box.

5. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I'd take it back to the retailer even if it wasn't purchased at an apple store.:rolleyes::p

Can I ask how much you paid for the iPod? Because some retailers may still have the older models without the upgrade in stock, and charge less for them, like Amazon. *shrugs*. I'd go back to the retailer and demand an answer before I shelled out the dough for the upgrade.

EDIT: Ah, the post you made while I was typing this answered my query. xD

6. vi2867 macrumors 6502

vi2867

Once it is open they will charge a restocking fee. Apple will probably work with you, but a independent retailer won't.

7. connoisseur thread starter macrumors member

I'm military so I bought it from the base tax free at $329. its normal price is $399. so i'll pay the $20 for the update
    I guess their still selling the before Jan 08 models
    I'm pleased so far so good
    thanks for the rapid replies

8. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I see lucky you getting the discount. I'd get a student discount at Apple stores, but my nearest store is 2 hours away with the train, and the money it'd cost me to get there would cost me as much as I'd save. Ironic :D

Good good, enjoy your iPod! Out of curiosity, are you planning on jailbreaking it?

9. connoisseur thread starter macrumors member

I find myself driving extra to save $5 when at the same time I burning more gas lol
    As far as Jailbreaking it I'm afraid I might void the apple warranty

I'm thinking about holding off on buying the update until after June lol

10. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Haha I'm the opposite.. I'd rather pay 5$ than get off my ass most of the time! xD Well, unless it's going to do something pleasant. xD

I see, so you don't need the applications that came with the january update? Because buying the june update won't put the january update on your iPod too, incase that's what you were doting on. Jailbreaking does void the warranty, though it gives you the january applications (and a whole lot more) for free.. hehe I just risked it but I can totally see why you wouldn't wanna do it.

11. connoisseur thread starter macrumors member

Did You Say FREE lol
    I could always use the tip

also are there any good free apps on apples website
    does the sdk iphone apps work on the touch

12. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Yeah, free's the magic word. xD If you wait for the june update you'll have to pay per application that you get, when you jailbreak, you have access to a growing collection of patches, applications, games and more, for free. (That's why so many people are doing it!) Look into it! And yes, the january update software is also available for free download. My guess is that the june update will be available to download for free the moment it's released.

About your SDK question... generally, it depends on the firmware you're on, not on if it's an iPod or an iPhone. though obviously some applications are totally geared towards the iphone (such as camera modification applications), but offhand you can run anything on an iPod that you can on the iphone. I haven't run into any troubles yet.

EDIT: Cool apps? There are PLENTY of cool apps, depends on what you like to do. Nifty games, NES emulators, e book readers, patches and fixes... absolute customization applications (Springboard, Customize, Kate...), whatnots. Keep in mind the collection of available apps grows every day so stick around for your dream app.. or do it yourself and put it on the iPod. After you jailbreak, you can start making your iPod your own.

EDIT 2 : On apples website? Only web apps thusfar. Apps will come in June, but they won't be free.

13. connoisseur thread starter macrumors member

thanks