Purchased iPhone 4 at a discount and already eligible for another upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brdnboy, Jul 23, 2010.

1. brdnboy macrumors regular

I purchased an iPhone 4 via pre-order from Apple's site on the first day you could order. I was fully qualified for an upgrade and purchased a 32gb for $299+tax. It arrived a day early like it did for many users. Shortly after arrival i checked my upgrade eligibility with AT&T out of curiosity and it showed, as expected, that I was not qualified for any upgrade and would again be qualified in about 12 months. Fast forward to a few days ago, i checked eligibility of some lines on my account and my line is already qualified for an early upgrade less than a month after I already upgraded. I am curious why I am eligible so soon, but more importantly if i were to take advantage of the early upgrade how quickly would I be eligible again. I am thinking about buying a white iPhone 4 if it ever comes out and selling mine, or just purchasing another black iPhone 4, unlocking it and selling it. If anyone had something similar happen with their upgrade eligibility or knows anything more, let me know.

2. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

That's pretty wild. If youre able to capitalize on that...congrats!!!

3. Tronic macrumors 6502

Tronic

I wouldn't ask an At&t employee about it. Its worth a shot trying to order another one online and seeing if it will go through with the discount. Maybe you just spend a lot for At&t ($500+ / Month or something) and it just really is that fast for their best customers.

4. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

the website gltiches up sometimes and you get lucky.

5. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

i do remember reading in another thread where someone explained that the person would be charged when the new iPhone was activated. I'm not sure how this would work, but if youre subsidized for the first and then ATT is charged another subsidized amount for the same account, it may flip a flag. Again, i'm not sure what would come of it..i'd be half-tempted to get one and at least try it....heck, you can always sell it and DEF get enough money to pay for the price of the phone AND have some left over. :)

Good luck.

6. brdnboy thread starter macrumors regular

I would normally treat it as a glitch and ignore it, but because it already went through the cycle of "not eligible" and then "eligible" again it think it is available to me. I don't have a crazy bill but it is $260/ month after fan discount, so probably above $300 before the discount.

7. zizo79 macrumors 6502a

zizo79

Just give it a couple of days...it will go away

8. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

Just to confirm...does it say this:

As a valued AT&T customer, you may be eligible for an upgrade on this line, with no-commit equipment pricing and without signing a 2-year commitment. Click 'Upgrade Eligibility' to view your upgrade options.

or

As a valued AT&T customer, you may be eligible for an upgrade on this line, with reduced equipment pricing and without signing a 2-year commitment. Click 'Upgrade Eligibility' to view your upgrade options.

????

9. brdnboy thread starter macrumors regular

It has already been more than a couple days. I guess we will see if it sticks.

It is for reduced equipment pricing, not no commitment pricing.

10. Charadis macrumors 6502a

Nice. Same for me; I bought my iPhone 4 through full upgrade discount. When I checked recently last week, the only offer I got was noncommittment unsubsidized pricing. However, I later checked again the other day after paying my bill and I had the option of having early upgrade. I wanted to make sure this wasn't just a temp glitch, so I checked on Apple's website store for eligibility, and sure enough, I could purchase the 16gb iPhone 4 for $399 or the 32gb for $499.

May take advantage of it when white iPhone releases. But right now, I'm veey satisfied with my black 4; just kinda wish I chose the 32gb...and the white looks sexy. ;)

Oh yea, and I also have fan account; maybe fan perk? Cheers.

-C

Sent from my iPhone 4.

11. Charadis macrumors 6502a

Mine says this:

A full discount on a standard handset or iPhone upgrade is not available at this time but you may qualify on 02/22/2012. We can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade at a higher price with a 2-yr commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. Please visit a participating iPhone sales location for pricing on this offer.

-C

Sent from my iPhone 4.

12. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

Ouch... you don't get 12 month upgrades?

13. brdnboy thread starter macrumors regular

"As a valued AT&T customer, we can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade at a reduced discount, along with a 2-year commitment. You may qualify for a full discount on a standard iPhone upgrade on 06/18/2011"

14. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, you aren't eligible for the full upgrade yet... you pay over $200/month (think that's cutoff) so you get 12 month upgrades as well.

I like having my 12-month upgrades lol.... although I didn't get a 3Gs... didn't see a need for it.

15. brdnboy thread starter macrumors regular

Yep, its not a full discount, but it is still $200 off and it looks like a 32GB is bringing about $800 on ebay currently.

16. mkelly2115 macrumors member

If its on a family plan is that true for every line or just the primary?

17. brdnboy thread starter macrumors regular

Just the account owner.

18. mkelly2115 macrumors member

gotya, thanks for the clarification.

19. Charadis macrumors 6502a

Nope. :(

I was surprised, however, that AT&T let me upgrade early. When I got my iPhone 4, I was almost 16 months into my service with my iPhone 3G: I hot the 3G on Feb 28, 2009. My contract was supposed to expire on Feb 2011, so AT&T let me upgrade 8 months early with full discount.

So who knows, maybe when iPhone 5 comes out, another surprise? That would be nice. I'm a happy AT&T customer.

-C

Sent from my iPhone 4.

20. Charadis macrumors 6502a

My last bill was $73.53. That's unlimited data, 450 anytime mins, 200 text. Had over 3000 rollover minutes before it got reset with my new contract.

I may not have full discount every year, but I save money every month with a phone I rarely use other than for Internet/apps/small txting/emergency. ;)

-C

Sent from my iPhone 4.

21. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I have three lines that I upgraded in the last thirty days. The line that I upgraded to an iPhone 4 says that I am eligible for an upgrade at a discounted price, probably the $499 price for a 32GB. I may use it when the white comes out and the switch the black iPhone 4 to one of my other lines.

22. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Like a few others in this thread, I am already eligible for an iPhone upgrade even though I upgraded last month to an iPhone 4 on the same line. The account was barely a month old when I upgraded to the iPhone 4. I opened the account by activating an original iPhone so it was upgradeable from day one.

July 1, I wasn't upgradeable, now I am, again. I logged in online and it too says the same thing as my screen cap.

Attached Files:

23. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

I have a two line family plan and both are eligible for upgrades every year. I only pay $139 a month after a 15% discount. I have been with AT&T for five years now and have had a family plan for almost four. I have been eligible for yearly upgrades the entire time I have been with AT&T.

24. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

Your rollover minutes should not reset after an upgrade. I have had +-3400 rollover minutes for about three years and have upgraded three times in that span. The minutes only expire after 12 months, so I lose about 100-130 minutes every biiling cycle. But about 200 or so unused minutes are added back every month.

25. PaulieORF macrumors regular

We upgraded two lines on my family plan to iPhone 4 on the 24th, both early upgrades. They originally didn't show as eligible for an iPhone early upgrade, but now they both are. Interesting, as in the past you could only use one early upgrade every 18 months.