Purchased iPhone @ ATT. What Are My Options for exchanges due to it being defective

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GreenFrog, Aug 25, 2008.

1. GreenFrog macrumors member

I purchased an iPhone @ my local ATT store, but I'm going back to college in a few days, and I plan on getting an exchange or something (light leak on the left side) at the ATT store near my campus.

Will they allow this, as long as I have the receipt? Or MUST I get it exchanged at the store I bought it at?

Also, honestly, I'd like to turn to an Apple Store for exchanging it, as I read somewhere that some guy who had a light leak went to an Apple Genius, and the genius said that since the current iPhones were so poor in quality, he attached some sort of special note to the guy's serial code so he can exchange it for a new one (not refurbished) WAAY into the future, when the iPhones have higher quality builds. Now THAT, is the ideal option I want to pursue --> Is that an option for me?

I've also heard that ATT customers can ONLY receive refurbished iPhones if they want an exchange @ Apple stores. Is this true?

Sorry for this becoming so long, but help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

30 days and 10% restock fee at full retail. You may want to get the manager to waive the restock fee.

3. GreenFrog thread starter macrumors member

Sorry to be snide, but you didn't answer my question(s) at all. Thanks, however.

4. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

he attached some sort of special note to the guy's serial code so he can exchange it for a new one (not refurbished) WAAY into the future, when the iPhones have higher quality builds. Now THAT, is the ideal option I want to pursue --> Is that an option for me?

Why would they do that? It would seem to me that they would exchange right there and then not WAAY into the future. Seems like someone is trying to pull the wool over someone's eyes. I would contact apple care on this one. I know that Steve Jobs and Apple have been pretty fair with the $100.00 store credit and exchanging bad phones for new ones but they aren't that stupid to give you credit for one WAAY into the future. Anything can happen to the one with the light leak while you are waiting for a higher quality one.

I think Djam was answering your question. He was telling you what they would do for you if you took it back. Djam was not being rude with his remark.

5. GreenFrog thread starter macrumors member

Well... I don't think he was lying.. I mean, would he have reason to? I guess the problems with the iPhones are so widespread that the Geniuses are taking drastic measures.

6. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

Take it to the Apple store. I would love to know what they will do for you. I intend to get one for my hubby for Christmas. I would love to have facts to go by.

I haven't seen or heard anything like this. Call Apple care or go into an apple store.

7. aristobrat macrumors G5

If you buy any Apple product from an Apple Store and have a problem within the first 14 days, they're very likely to swap you out with a brand new unit (instead of making you go through the process of getting your new purchased repaired).

If you didn't buy your iPhone from Apple and have a problem (or if you bought your iPhone from Apple and you're outside of the first 14 days), they'll send you through the repair process. If your phone is replaced, the replacement phone may be new or refurbished. The Genius doesn't know if the phone is refurb or new until he opens the replacement box. Refurbs from Apple get whole new exteriors and you shouldn't be able to visually tell that they're not brand new.

Geniuses have some leeway in how they handle an incident. I would *not* expect every Genius to be like the one you wrote about (where he made a note allowing the customer to come back several months later, and even if that note was made, I really doubt that they can guarantee the guy to get a new (not refurbed) replacement).

If your phone has an issue, they will deal with it.

If what you want is a phone built several weeks from now when you assume the build quality will be better, then just wait several weeks from now before going to the Apple store and seeing the Genius.

AFAIK, AT&T does no warranty work on iPhones.