Purchased Macbook Pro 13" (Base Model); Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by uclamatta, Jun 16, 2009.

1. uclamatta macrumors newbie

uclamatta

After having spent a better part of my life in Windows environment (I'm 22 now, I've used Windows since I was 9), I am now "convert".

I'll admit, while the machine itself is elegantly designed, I didn't realize how frustrating the transition would actually be in a UNIX-based OS. How do I uninstall? How do I regulate background applications? How do I defrag? While these are questions which can be answered searching, I can't help but air 'em to a community which--as I've read--appears to be EXTREMELY insightful and quick to offer advice/help.

I was hoping to wait for Windows 7, but as I was completing my thesis work in my MA program, I was surprised with a BSOD. In the MIDDLE of a case study...Three of the 24 pages were corrupted, which to me is a terrifying view of things to come. Imagine losing your THESIS on an aging machine, you can imagine how upset I was. Hence, my new Macbook Pro--a secure decision, I hope.

I've stalked these forums since my purchase of a Vaio S360 (now 5 years old), hoping to read something that would convince me to make an investment in a Mac. Here I am now, much poorer but much happier.

Help me to dilute my buyers remorse AND answer a few of the above questions, por favor!

Thanks for reading folks, a dull romp but I can't help but post.

Stephen

Note: I know these threads are ridiculously redundant (in content) but I had to post :)

2. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

Uninstall is handled by simply dragging the application's icon from the Application folder in the Finder to the trash.

Defrag is never needed since it is done automatically.

I don't get the regulate background apps question.

3. uclamatta thread starter macrumors newbie

uclamatta

I'm not sure how familiar you are with Windows, but in it I had access to a "Task Manager". From there, I can kill background applications that weren't needed, to free channels and open memory.

Also, thanks for the information--always appreciated.

4. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

Ahhh, yes we do that too.

When in your Applications folder, find the folder titled Utilities. In there you'll find the Activity Monitor. After launching that, you'll find it is almost identical to the Task Manager, in terms of what you can do.

5. joe.cavers macrumors regular

If you go to the Applications folder, then to Utilties, there is something there called "Activity Monitor". This is the parallel of Window's Task Manager, although I think you'll be presently surprised by the distinct lack of unnecessary background apps running :)

I was in the same boat as you 3 years ago, and now I own 2 Macs and I've converted my parents too.

Never look back!

JC

Edit: Mistabungle, beat me to it!

6. heesey1010 macrumors member

Task manager = Activity Monitor.
    It bears clarification that 99.9% of the time you'll uninstall applications via the drag-to-trash method. It's quite elegant compared to Windows...the 0.1% of the time might be for suite applications like Adobe or Microsoft, but even then they're starting to become more compliant with the easier method.

On the opposite note, installing apps is as simple as dragging the app to the application folder. If it is a .pkg file (icon is a brown box), double click on it to start the installer process. Office and Adobe still use an installer-like method.

darn, two people beat me to it.

7. rabidadvisor macrumors newbie

You can use option+command+escape to force quit any applications (frozen or not). There is no need to regulate the memory as OS X will do this for you. Same with defragmentation.

However you can always load up the activity monitor (command+space and type "activity monitor") and quit processes from there but I believe it will be a waste of your time.

8. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Because background programs that start up are started up at user logon, look for the start up list in the user logon preference pane in system utilities.

It should look something like this:
    [​IMG]

Also note, some programs (Picasa being the number 1 bad example) install things that don't show up there. While 99% of programs don't have this problem, every now and then there are programs that don't put their start-up program in that list, and it can be a headache to remove, much like digging around in the registry/msconfig on Windows.

Attached Files:

9. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

You're never going to see +5 svchost.exe programs again :p

I'm totally new to OS X as well and I've found that I put the activity monitor icon on my dock for comfort even though I rarely click on it. (I can't get out of old Windows habits hahaha)

EDIT: Is iTunesHelper necessary for start up? My logical guess is no...

10. duky macrumors 6502

Not sure if this was a serious question or not but iTunes helper is definitely not necessary. I did some research a while ago and figured out it is there so that when you connect an iPod or iPhone to your computer iTunes will open automatically to begin syncing. Since I often connect and disconnect my iPhone regularly I realized that I'd prefer to not have iTunes helper around as it just messed with my Spaces

11. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Yeah, I never use "Activity Monitor" anymore. And I always thought the equivalent of Task Manager (Such as when your PC freezes, and you press CLT ALT DLT) was Force Quit! Haha.

And I took off "iTunesHelper" I don't know what it does but I got rid of it!

12. FilipH macrumors regular

The memories :) When i was using Windows, i used to do the same. But i assure you that this is not needed with OS/X. It's run much more efficiently.

It will take you a while to get used to the fact that you don't need to defrag, you don't need to run anti virus, don't need to have anti spyware, or do much (if any) maintenance.

13. sneeks macrumors 6502a

I use AppZapper to uninstall any applications and ensure that all references to the app are removed.

http://www.appzapper.com/

14. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

This brings me back to what shocks me about these computers--- there are no software issues/problems that need to be fixed. I didn't know you could have a computer without issues until recently.

15. Joruus macrumors member

Just to make you a bit more lazier:
    smcFanControl (guess what it does)
    iStat menus (guess :p)
    Lingon From the Website: Lingon is a graphical user interface for creating and editing launchd configuration files for Mac OS X Leopard 10.5. You can use launchd on a Mac to launch scripts and applications whenever something special happens or at a specific time or periodically. You get all launchd configuration files in a list to the left so you can easily see all and choose which one to edit.
    Little Snitch From the Website: Little Snitch informs you whenever a program attempts to establish an outgoing Internet connection. You can then choose to allow or deny this connection, or define a rule how to handle similar, future connection attempts.
    Adium MSN/ICQ/XMPP etc client
    Colloquy IRC, SILC & ICB Client

16. ColinEC macrumors 6502

How do I uninstall?

You may drag the applications you've downloaded from the Applications folder into the trash and delete them. However, applications store info in the "Application Support" and "Preferences" sub-folders of both the user-Library (username > Library) folder and the root Library folder (Macintosh HD > Library).To fully clean out applications from your computer, you may have to go into those folders and delete their respective preference and app-support files.

Although, you can use an application such as AppCleaner to drag the unwanted applications into AppCleaner which will automatically sniff out the remaining files in those subfolders.

How do I regulate background applications?

You may use the Activity Monitor to view all the active processes in the guts of Mac OS X. It's in the Utilities folder (Applications > Utilities). You may also go into "Login Items" of the Accounts pane in System Preferences to manage what extra applications open at login.

How do I defrag?

Under Mac OS X there's really no need to defrag. Reasons for this can be found here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1375

However, if you've decided that defragging is necessary, you could purchase an application such as Disk Warrior which will perform that task.

17. ilfn143 macrumors 6502

also try four finger on the trackpad, move up, down, left, right with four fingers. you'll have fun with it :)

18. uclamatta thread starter macrumors newbie

uclamatta

Thank you for everyone who contributed to this thread, I downloaded AppleCleaner and I'm gradually becoming accustomed to the Mac environment. I've got to say, it has been YEARS since I last enjoyed using my computer. Not only am I getting work done, but I don't mind doing it, provided it allows me to spend time with my MBP :)

Any suggestions on freeware sites? Anything people trust, have used, and would recommend? Thanks again, this is much appreciated!

Stephen;)

19. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

That's AppCleaner, app stands for application :D .

MultiClutch is the next thing to get - it allows you to assign gestures globally (like, for example, three-finger swipe down to minimize windows) or to specific application. It's easy to use and you can assign functionality to the gesture as long as there's a keyboard shortcut for it (there usually is). Side-effect of iTunesHelper running is that it allows to use these gestures in iTunes.

20. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Try versiontracker.com and macupdate.com. The first utility I download on any Mac is Quicksilver. Check that one out.

The biggest thing to get used to switching is not having to babysit your computer anymore. No virus updates, defragging, playing with the innards of your OS (until you want to play around with stuff).

Get used to drag-to-the-trash uninstalls and leaving 10 apps open all at once with no hit in stability or performance. (The biggest thing for me to get used to coming from Windows was I didn't need to close things like Mail, iCal, Address Book to free up system resources. Just leave them open so when you click on them in the dock they are available instantly.)

Also, don't try to organize your iPhoto Library folder. Just let iPhoto manage the folder structure and use iPhoto itself as your browser. (It does help to keep up with tagging and labeling photos as you import so when you get 10 or 20 thousand photos searching is easy.)

Hope that helps.