Purchased MBP (PG): Should I be concerned about the 8600M GT?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hatchet, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Hatchet macrumors regular

I just purchased the previous generation macbook pro 2.5GHZ at a great price ($1599) and I didn't realize that there were so many negative topics on the Nvidia 8600M GT which supposedly has a lot of issues in manufacturing.

I do not play games at all but do use Adobe Creative Suite quite a lot. I may do some video editing, but very little.

Should I be concerned about purchasing or should I not worry about it unless I have a problem?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You shouldn't worry.

3. Atomic Ed macrumors regular

That is the magic question we are al asking, as to whether or not our machine has the affected GPU or not. No one is giving any specifics for us to tell so it is anyone's guess right now. I have a personal feeling it is every single GPU that is affected based on what I am seeing and the purposeful lack of details from all the computer manufacturers using that chip. Good luck.

4. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I just ordered that MBP, new from MacMall.

I am NOT concerned with this issue. If I am unlucky enough that my laptop is one of the ones impacted, then it is covered and will be repaired for 2 years.

I am planning to get AppleCare for this system anyways, so that gives me a total of 3 years of coverage. If it didn't fail by the end of that, then I am golden ;)

5. tbae12 macrumors member

Don't worry about the GPU, just be happy. One reason this site exists is to help those who are having problems so you're always going to see a bunch of negative stuff.

6. kntgsp macrumors 6502a

You should see the Apple Support forums.

They bitch about EVERYTHING.

7. Hatchet thread starter macrumors regular

I went ahead and took a look at more of the topics and it seems that it could be due to heavy use of the card. Luckily, I am not a gamer so I should fair well with it as I will eventually get Applecare. I'll cross my fingers!