Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I decided to convert from trial to purchase of 2 trial accounts to the family pack.

The process was simple and straight forward.

1. I purchased MobileMe Family Pack from Amazon for $103.00 (US).

2. I received the Pack in about 1 week (did not want to pay extra for faster shipping).

3. Went into MobileMe Account Options and selected "Skip Trial".

4. I selected "I have an Activation Key".

5. I entered the Key and selected "I have read the terms". I unselected the Add a Credit Card to this Account.

6. I then completed and my main account was now setup as "Family Pack - Master".

7. I then went into Account Options again and it said I had 4 Unassigned under Family Pack.

8. I then selected "Setup Account".

9. I then selected "Convert Existing Account". This allowed me to enter my second MobileMe Account (which was still on Trial).

10. I followed the prompts (very simple) and it added it to my Family Pack. I now have 3 unused account.

My new Expiration is 1 year from today. I had thought it was going to be from the start of my trial but it was from today (the day I converted). I could have waited a few more weeks but did not want to have both my accounts auto convert for $99 each if I somehow missed the conversion date.

Unlike a number of users on this forum I have been very happy with the service. If you read some of my other posts you will see that for the most part I have not had any "real" problems. I do wish they would fix a few bugs and add some new features but for most part I am happy.

My use of the product.

I have 2 iPhones (my wife and I). We Sync with Windows Outlook for Contacts and Calendar (we keep them separate). We also Forward a copy of our other email to MobileMe so it can be Pushed to our iPhones. Our MobileMe Email is not our main email address. We use Outlook and other IMAP Clients to manage our email, contacts and calendar so we don't really have to use the MobileMe Web Client that often (so we don't have the main problem of other).

Push email has always worked well for us with some intermittent downtime as with most services.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Why didn't you use up your 60 day trial? That's 1/6th of your overall subscription time.

I started my original trial on July 10. That original trial would end on Sep 10. However, because of the problems I got extended until about December (I think). However, I then started a second trial for my wife just over 1 month ago and her trial was for only 60 days. As I said, I could have waited a few more weeks (my wifes trial would have ended before my original trial) but I decided for me it was not a big deal. Again, I only paid $103 for the family pack and both my trial accounts were on AUTO Purchase for $99 each. I just did not want to worry about it any more. Also, at one point I thought that when you activated it start based on the beginning of your trial and not at the time of conversion. Actually I think they should have started it on the day after my trial ended. Also, it took 1 week to get the key from Amazon and I was not sure of the entire process which turned out to be quite easy. That is why I shared my experience with others here.

mokeiko

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
Thanks for sharing Mike. I'm in the same situation as you and this information will come in handy when I'll make the purchase myself.

mokeiko

robby818

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
Thank you for the step by step Mike. I had this same question regarding converting two individual trials to a single family plan and could not find a thing on the Apple website. I had a feeling that it would be as easy as you described but wasn't sure until I read your post:).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.