Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

philMBP

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
With purchased movies/TV shows, do you download them? Or just leave in cloud?

I have been downloading them and storing on NAS but not sure it’s worth it - with DRM you can’t play them outside of iTunes/Music ATV.

niteflyr

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2011
Southern Cal
If you have ever had purchased content disappear from the iTunes Store and the cloud (it does happen occaisionally), you will believe in downloading everything.

A friend of a friend of mine who once knew a guy that told him, said that there are some software programs available that will remove iTunes DRM.

Reactions: E.Lizardo

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
iTunes music videos very much DISAPPEAR from the iCloud etc. Over the last month, i've had 2 David Ghetta / Kelly Rowland music videos and a Katy Perry music video removed from the iCloud. Horrible, as that's the way to watch them on the ATV. But then, Apple never had any interest in music videos I guess. To me it was always weird that they only sold them in 480p and some look really awful. Very unApple like IMO. Really weird as YouTube has music videos in 1080p since 2010 and of course, many are now in 4K. I've lost four over the last year which is bad considering I only bought around 12 many years back (2010-13). (I use YouTube for music videos).

My recommendation is that if you buy an iTunes film, stream it of course from the iCloud BUT make a 1080p backup download copy to say your TimeMachine backup drive. (I also have favourite films downloaded to my iPhone for my travels). For TimeMachine backups, I use the LaCie Rugged.

TV series wise, I don't download as there's too many episodes to have to back up in a box set / series.

Music video wise, i'm under the impression that Apple has no interest in these due to them concentrating on Apple Music. Sadly, i'll never be an Apple Music subscriber as I value my iTunes library too much and don't want it mixed in with Apple Music so I pay for Spotify instead for the last 5+ years.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
iTunes music videos very much DISAPPEAR from the iCloud etc. Over the last month, i've had 2 David Ghetta / Kelly Rowland music videos and a Katy Perry music video removed from the iCloud. Horrible, as that's the way to watch them on the ATV. But then, Apple never had any interest in music videos I guess. To me it was always weird that they only sold them in 480p and some look really awful. Very unApple like IMO. Really weird as YouTube has music videos in 1080p since 2010 and of course, many are now in 4K. I've lost four over the last year which is bad considering I only bought around 12 many years back (2010-13). (I use YouTube for music videos).

My recommendation is that if you buy an iTunes film, stream it of course from the iCloud BUT make a 1080p backup download copy to say your TimeMachine backup drive. (I also have favourite films downloaded to my iPhone for my travels). For TimeMachine backups, I use the LaCie Rugged.

TV series wise, I don't download as there's too many episodes to have to back up in a box set / series.

Music video wise, i'm under the impression that Apple has no interest in these due to them concentrating on Apple Music. Sadly, i'll never be an Apple Music subscriber as I value my iTunes library too much and don't want it mixed in with Apple Music so I pay for Spotify instead for the last 5+ years.

I have 1080p copies of every video product (movie/TV shows/series/boxed sets) that I've purchased from Apple/iTunes (absolutely ZERO interest in music videos) ... I store them on my NAS... just a good idea.

winstars

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2015
I have 1080p copies of every video product (movie/TV shows/series/boxed sets) that I've purchased from Apple/iTunes (absolutely ZERO interest in music videos) ... I store them on my NAS... just a good idea.

Can I download 4k content?

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Can I download 4k content?

No you cannot. Being honest, for many it would be very messy - large files 15-25GB and possible buffering hick ups along the way if you were to use the Apple Homesharing method (think flawless 100% WiFi needed from your MacBook to the router, then from the router to the ATV). On the plus side, with an iPhone/iPad, you can download the 1080p Dolby Vision / HDR / Atmos version - I have these on my iPhone for my travels :)

Now and the future is streaming from cloud services and being honest, the iTunes streaming method for its film service seems to be pretty much 99.9% reliable and trustworthy now. It has to be if it wants to be regarded as the best and largest go to service for buying/renting film.

Reactions: AZhappyjack

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
No you cannot. Being honest, for many it would be very messy - large files 15-25GB and possible buffering hick ups along the way if you were to use the Apple Homesharing method (think flawless 100% WiFi needed from your MacBook to the router, then from the router to the ATV).
This is really not a problem. On a properly configured home network you can easily stream at the bitrates that iTunes 4K uses (around 25-30 Mbps). In fact they use similar bitrates as many Blu-ray discs. I have some of my own Blu-rays ripped to my NAS for easy access and stream them to my Apple TVs using Infuse. It works very well. Some people even rip UHD Blu-rays (which typically use 50-80 Mbps) and stream them ...

That said, the file sizes for 4K content defnitely require a lot of space. You have to build a multi-terabyte NAS for it to make sense.

And no, it is currently not possible to download iTunes 4K files on a computer.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
This is really not a problem. On a properly configured home network you can easily stream at the bitrates that iTunes 4K uses (around 25-30 Mbps). In fact they use similar bitrates as many Blu-ray discs. I have some of my own Blu-rays ripped to my NAS for easy access and stream them to my Apple TVs using Infuse. It works very well. Some people even rip UHD Blu-rays (which typically use 50-80 Mbps) and stream them ...

That said, the file sizes for 4K content defnitely require a lot of space. You have to build a multi-terabyte NAS for it to make sense.

And no, it is currently not possible to download iTunes 4K files on a computer.

I'll be honest Rigby, iTune download HomeSharing has been an absolute bag of hurt for me for the whole 8 years. Some play flawlessly, others freeze and stutter. Call Me By Your Name as a 1080p download ALWAYS freezes in the same two parts for example. I tried the 720p download and Apple have made a bit of a mess with these over the last year+ as the audio was very compressed and metallically sounding compared to the 1080p. My ears detected it INSTANTLY! (also noted that with other 720p iTunes films over the last 18 months).

My experience with Apple HomeSharing iTunes 1080p downloads isn't the pleasure it should be hence why I always prefer to stream it from Apple's servers. Maybe if I had a wired ethernet to ethernet connection it would be flawless but that's not happening in my house.

Having had these issues, for me, trying to HomeShare a 4K iTunes DRM file would be horrific. But i'm into that, I want to simply stream in 4K from Apple when I feel like the weekly film with friends. As I've pointed out in the past - i'd in all fairness, rather be doing something else than watching a TV screen.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I'll be honest Rigby, iTune download HomeSharing has been an absolute bag of hurt for me for the whole 8 years. Some play flawlessly, others freeze and stutter.
Sounds like some issue in your local network. 1080p iTunes downloads have comparatively tiny bitrates (5-6 Mbps). Even the slowest type of Ethernet used today can handle 100 Mbps (although 1 Gbps is now common and supported by the ATV4K), and modern Wifi can handle several hundred Mbps. Perhaps check if you have channel interference from a neighbor or install a repeater if the ATV is far from the access point.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Sounds like some issue in your local network. 1080p iTunes downloads have comparatively tiny bitrates (5-6 Mbps). Even the slowest type of Ethernet used today can handle 100 Mbps (although 1 Gbps is now common and supported by the ATV4K), and modern Wifi can handle several hundred Mbps. Perhaps check if you have channel interference from a neighbor or install a repeater if the ATV is far from the access point.

Yes it's just bizarre Rigby. We have 400mbps fibre and it usually reads 403mbps download on the 5ghz setting - we don't use 2.4 due to severe interference from neighbours. However, when streaming from any service, it's 100% perfect - never has the ATV 4K or 4 before that ever buffered during an iTunes film, Netflix, Surf Network, RedBull TV etc :) Again, the router is near to each device.
Could it be a DRM issue as YouTube downloads or Vimeo purchases never have problems. Luckily, I don't need to use this route for iTunes film as going the Apple servers route gives me 4K Dolby Vision, Atmos and iTunes Extras which I really value :)

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

I lost a ton of Mariah Carey music videos I’d purchased from iTunes. Luckily for me google photos is such a dustbin. It copies any content I’ve ever had on my phone. So my MarIan Carey videos were not lost. It’s weird because there are music videos on Apple Music which are not available to purchase on iTunes.

philMBP

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Anyone else now have finder file names with added numbers? Since rebuilding my library in Catalina, some movie finder files now have numbers added to them. I.e. “movie.m4v” is now “03 movie.m4v” or other numbers.

Also new downloaded movies no longer have artwork in finder file. Old ones still do. So weird.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
I lost a ton of Mariah Carey music videos I’d purchased from iTunes. Luckily for me google photos is such a dustbin. It copies any content I’ve ever had on my phone. So my MarIan Carey videos were not lost. It’s weird because there are music videos on Apple Music which are not available to purchase on iTunes.

Yeah Apple never got their act together with their music video side of iTunes. All of mine that are 'removed' are still available to buy on the iTunes store. I call that dishonest and stealing. It means that you cannot watch them every again on your Apple TV.
But then who in their right mind would buy a poor quality 480p music video? They look really awful - especially when you simply stream it from YouTube in 1080p or even 4K now!

Reactions: Shanghaichica

Regbial

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
Call Me By Your Name as a 1080p download ALWAYS freezes in the same two parts for example.
Seriously!? Around where? I have the movie, I want to test it...
[automerge]1578326233[/automerge]
Yeah Apple never got their act together with their music video side of iTunes. All of mine that are 'removed' are still available to buy on the iTunes store. I call that dishonest and stealing. It means that you cannot watch them every again on your Apple TV.
But then who in their right mind would buy a poor quality 480p music video? They look really awful - especially when you simply stream it from YouTube in 1080p or even 4K now!
Man, I still remember APple advertising iPod Nanos with music videos.. like "hey you don't have to just listen to the music, you can watch the video on this tiny screen!!"

• Love
Reactions: BODYBUILDERPAUL

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Seriously!? Around where? I have the movie, I want to test it...
[automerge]1578326233[/automerge]

Man, I still remember APple advertising iPod Nanos with music videos.. like "hey you don't have to just listen to the music, you can watch the video on this tiny screen!!"

Incredible film - so classy! I love all of the languages in it and the decency/niceness of everyone in the film. The whole film is elegant.
When AppleHomesharing, my sticks at 25mins 47 seconds on the 1080p version. Plays perfect when streamed from Apple's servers etc so its a Mac to Wifi to ATV issue for me. Luckily, I try to avoid HomeSharing for iTunes film and purely use it for downloads ripped to my iTunes library.

• Love
Reactions: Regbial

philMBP

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Anyone else now have finder file names with added numbers? Since rebuilding my library in Catalina, some movie finder files now have numbers added to them. I.e. “movie.m4v” is now “03 movie.m4v” or other numbers.

Also new downloaded movies no longer have artwork in finder file. Old ones still do. So weird.
Anyone seeing this since Catalina?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.