Purchased music that is deleted, lives on as a "ghost".

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by jtfolden, Jul 18, 2013.

1. jtfolden macrumors 6502

jtfolden

I am noticing an odd issue under iOS 7 Beta 3 (and 2 I think).

I've purchased music from the iTunes Store and downloaded it on the device.

I connect the iPhone 5 to iTunes and click "On this iPhone". I see the purchased music just fine.

Later, while disconnected from iTunes. I delete this music from the iPhone.

The next time I connect to iTunes, the music is still listed under "On this iPhone" but it is greyed out and with an empty broken circle to the left of each track.

I've tried re-downloading the music onto the iPhone and then deleting it from iTunes instead. It appears to be gone but the next time I click sync, the greyed out tracks re-appear.

It does NOT do this for music I've ripped from CD myself.

It's like any purchased music that was ever on the device leaves behind a footprint. It doesn't seem to effect anything but it's annoying.

2. AngerDanger macrumors 68030

AngerDanger

Have you tried turning off Show All Music in Settings?

[​IMG]

3. jtfolden thread starter macrumors 6502

jtfolden

Thanks for the reply. Yes, that is turned off.

To clarify, I'm not seeing the "ghosts" in the music app on the iPhone itself. I'm only seeing them when viewing the "On My iPhone" section in iTunes on my Mac. ...and it's not showing every music purchase ever made, only those purchased tracks that have been on the iPhone, and then deleted, at some point since iOS 7 was installed.

4. AngerDanger macrumors 68030

AngerDanger

Have you tried erasing all of the music from your iPhone and then syncing it back on? I've had a couple of music oddities occur while using iOS 7, but an erase-and-sync with iTunes always fixes them… until I download the next beta.

5. jtfolden thread starter macrumors 6502

jtfolden

Yes, I did try removing all the music three times (once by deleting track by track in the music app, once via iTunes, and a later time I tried via Settings > General > Usage > Music).

Even with absolutely no music on the iPhone, the purchased tracks would still be ghosting in iTunes "On My iPhone".

6. jtfolden thread starter macrumors 6502

jtfolden

Anyone else seeing this issue or have a solution?

7. Soundflunky macrumors regular

Did you update to Beta 7 and install the profile etc?

8. jtfolden thread starter macrumors 6502

jtfolden

You mean Beta 6? Yes and yes.

I actually thought resetting the music database might fix this but it didn't which is why I resurrected this thread actually

9. jtfolden thread starter macrumors 6502

jtfolden

10. Soundflunky macrumors regular

11. jtfolden thread starter macrumors 6502

jtfolden

That's OK, neither can my iTunes I guess. ;-)

12. iGuardian macrumors 6502a

iGuardian

13. haydn! macrumors 6502a

There's always been syncing problems with music since iCloud. I think it was iOS5 or 6 where music you had purchased from iTunes was added twice, once from the cloud and once from iTunes itself. Was annoying as hell as you'd try to delete one copy and it would delete the other! haha

14. JPM42 macrumors 6502

I've had this issue on iOS 6. Unfortunately, the only fix I've known of has to been to restore from a backup. That seems to take care of it, at least until the next time it happens.

15. jtfolden thread starter macrumors 6502

jtfolden

Interesting... Prior to the iOS 7 beta I usually added music but didn't remove it often AND I did it via wi-fi sync.

Wi-fi sync has been broken while I've been running the beta so I've been connecting directly to the computer which is when this seemed to start, I think.

16. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Yes. And it's not ios 7 specific. I've been seeing it for ages under iOS 6. Only solution is erase and set up as new. Not a great option for me so I just live with it since it doesn't seem to be harming anything

You could try sending a bug report and see if you get a reply. I was planning to try same thing