Purchased new time capsule...how can I use airport express?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bartonjm, Nov 29, 2013.

1. bartonjm, Nov 29, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2013

bartonjm macrumors member

Well...I just renamed my thread because I ended up purchasing a TC. I have last years express. Do I keep it and are there any additional uses for it? It doesn't have AC, so will that be an issue? Thanks folks.

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

A TC is the easiest to setup and run and is officially supported by Apple. Others like NAS devices, but support can be spotty and OS updates can cause them to stop working until the NAS vendor updates their firmware.

The TC can be used to backup multiple OS X devices, but it will not directly backup an iOS device. What you need to do is plug the iOS device into one of your Macs then use the manual backup option in iTunes. That will create a iOS device backup file on the Mac which is in turn backed up to the TC.

Apple has refurbished Time Capsules here for $44 off MSRP.

4. bartonjm thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice. I do cloud my iOS devices, but that doesn't secure everything. Let's hope there are a few more good deals our there.

5. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I went to the local BestBuy store and finished buying the Airport Extreme ac $179.99 + taxes and a WD My Cloud 3TB USB3 HDD for $179.99 + taxes, around $382 all together.
    I haven't set it up yet.
    I wonder if connecting it with an ethernet cable will be faster than the USB 2.0 that the Airport Extreme has?
    Any real technical reason (limitation) why the USB port why Apple kept the USB port in the Airport Extreme USB 2.0…?

6. bartonjm thread starter macrumors member

Well...I ended up purchasing a 2tb time capsule and am pretty excited to get it. We recently purchased a new iMac, and would like to back it up as well as utilize the wireless ac upgrade over our airport express. Thanks for the advice.

7. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Not enough horsepower inside device.

8. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

A user in another thread speculated it may be because USB3 can cause interference on the 2.4 wifi band. With the transfer speeds of the average hard drive, I don't think USB2 would normally be the bottleneck anyway, so maybe Apple decided the risk of interference was not worth the possible small increase in drive transfer speeds. Just a theory.

10. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Exactly! The same USB 2.0 drive performs 6x better when served up by a Mac Mini. So it's not the USB that holds AirPort back, it's the SoC:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=18013924&postcount=4