Purchased the rmbp 15 inch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Violinist, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Violinist macrumors newbie

Violinist

Hi all:
    Just purchased the rMBP 15 inch with this config
    I have 14 days to keep it or return it, I am thinking of upping my memory to 16 gigs form the 8 gigs
    I understand this has been spoken for lot..hate to beat a dead horse,
    But is 8 gigs of ram good for what i will be doing

No vm, or windows on it, will just edit picture s from my Nikon D800E 36megs, documents, and e-mail also will it hold its value after 3 years..

2.7GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz
    8GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
    512GB Flash Storage

Keep it , Or should i return it and get the 16 gigs..everything is running well on this machine

Please help
    Eddy

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

For what you are doing, 8 GB is plenty.

Fot reselling in a few years, 8 will probably be standard or minimum. So if you REALLY care about resale value, get the 16 GB, because you cannot upgrade later on.

3. jblongz macrumors member

I'd say get the 16GB because in 4 years THAT may be the standard. May as well throw in the 2.8GHz if this is a write off.

4. Brian Y macrumors 68040

For now, 8GB is plenty, however, considering the price difference - I'd be tempted to future proof myself.

Heck, 4 years ago, 2GB of RAM was the norm - and I couldn't imagine using a computer with 2GB RAM now.

5. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

I got the 16GB back in July when they came out. Exactly for future value. I want to keep the MBP for, at least, 5 years (unless I am able to sell it before it to buy a newer one). I know that 8GB is enough for what I will be doing but it won't be in the future. Só €200 was worth it imo.

6. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

8GB is plenty but I'd return It and save the money on the CPU bump and get a 2.4/16/512 config personally. You'd see more use of the extra ram than the CPU bump.

7. Violinist thread starter macrumors newbie

Violinist

Thanks a lot for the positive feed back ...its going back and will re-do my order for more Memory. HArd to give up a machine like this but... i need the memopry for my photography

8. utekineir macrumors 6502

If you were rationalizing base model over 16gb i'd say go base, take the 10% or so difference in cash to put toward the next one.

But, where you were allready shelling out extra $, get the ram.

9. squintypanda macrumors newbie

I had previously bought a 15' 2.3g RMBP with standard 8 gigs of ram. I noticed slow downs when I was importing and editing photos via iPhoto from my Panasonic G3. I didn't have much else opened at the time ( don't remember 100%, but should be just a few chrome tabs, and maybe iTunes). I checked the ram usage and it was pretty much full and pageouts had occured. I have since returned it and am now waiting for my 15' 2.7g RMBP :)

10. jblongz, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013

jblongz macrumors member

Also remember that Photoshop will use as much RAM and CPU as it can to get advanced photography done. Two Adobe versions from now, there could be all types of new effects that require more CPU and RAM. RememberWhile: Though many graphics applications make use of the GPU for interface response, MOST of them still use CPU for rendering.

11. TofSanity, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013

TofSanity macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

I do a lot of photo editing as well. I purchased a base model 15" rMBP back in November. I eventually took it back to purchase one with 16GB of RAM. I was getting GBs of page outs with the 8GB of RAM.

so, 16 GB is the way to go.

I should add that I had the original almost a month before returning (fell into the holiday return policy) so I was able to obtain a better understanding of what I really was missing while photo editing.

12. majkom macrumors 65816

common, 4 years ago, 2gb was norm, nw it is 4gb... using this logic, 8gb will be norm in 4 years.. I wouldnt buy more than 8 Gb if I were OP

13. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I am perfectly happy with the 8GB RAM in my rMBP--more than sufficient now and I'm confident it will suffice for the next 3 or 4 years at least.

14. jblongz macrumors member

8GB is now the norm, while 4GB is the low end budget.

15. majkom macrumors 65816

nonsense

16. jblongz macrumors member

17. tivoboy macrumors 68030

actually

honestly, I think a lower SPEC'D model would have a better (% of original retail) resale value. I think the 2.7 and 512 will actually drop while not LOWER than a 2.5/2.6/256, but it will drop more as a percentage of the current high price. If you don't need the power or storage NOW, why pay for it now, and why let it depreciate more?

18. majkom macrumors 65816

this!

19. octavianguti macrumors newbie

Does that mean the latest retina model of 15 inches can not go beyond 16 gigs of ram? Which means there will be no 32gigs of ram for that model?

20. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Yes. Think 2014 DDR4 though.

21. jblongz macrumors member

I definitely needed the power as it replaced my desktop. Im experience with buying macs (almost every model), I find the the highest end has done great for me each time, while my frugal friends had fan issues amongst other problems with base models. Maybe just a coincidence though.

Using the rMBP for the last few weeks has inspired my work in that I can travel with all this power and not think about needed a tower or iMac. I'll still build another rig for rendering 3D, but for creating in 3D, cutting video, and producing music, this is the end all for me, until I see multiple internal SSD controllers or touch screen Macs. I think the latter is what awaits in OS X11.