Purchased this Mac can it run Windows XP?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jwolf6589, May 18, 2015.

1. jwolf6589 macrumors 65816

jwolf6589

I am upgrading from my mid 2009 model to this model. My current model can run Windows XP but can this model? Thanks..

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-pro

13-inch: 2.5GHz
    Specifications
    2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
    Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
    4GB 1600MHz memory
    500GB 5400-rpm hard drive1
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Built-in battery (7 hours)2
    Multi-Touch trackpad

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You shouldn't be running Windows XP. Microsoft has ceased supporting it.

Besides, it wouldn't. It would only run 7 and above.

3. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Not supported. Windows 7 or above. Suggest you try virtualisation.

Last MacBook Pros that support Windows XP via Boot Camp are the Mid-2010.

4. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 65816

jwolf6589

Thats terrible!! So basically I need to buy the Windows 7 full edition disk on eBay instead of the upgrade? What of the Winclone backup I created of my XP partition? What will happen if I try and load XP?

----------

Is this the Windows 7 version I need to buy?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-W...015?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d3dc4ce7

5. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Why is it terrible? The reason that you have an old XP product key that you can't run doesn't count. At the time that Mac was new, way back in 2012 .... XP was eleven years old and was three years out of mainstream support. I don't see you complaining that the Mac won't run OS X 10.1 Puma, which launched the same year.

XP might install from media, but you'll struggle to find Apple specific drivers. Restore the Winclone backup and I'd expect Blue Screens.

You want to run XP, do it virtually.

P.S. You'll also find Windows 7 SP1 is out of mainstream support now. ;)

6. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 65816

jwolf6589

Can I use Winclone to restore from my backup to a Parralls desktop Virtual Machine? I really do not care about the support I just use Windows for a few purposes one of which is accessing websites that do not run in a Mac.

For example I have had to apply at jobs before where no Mac browser would work and I had to use Windows to access the job site. I also have a few other uses for Windows, but its not my primary machine as that is the Mac.

7. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Restore Winclone to Parallels (or VMware or VirtualBox etc)? Probably not. Last time I used it Winclone required direct access to the disk so you won't be able to restore it back to a virtual disk easily. Even if you get around that you are back into STOP 7B Bluescreen territory as it can't find the expected nVidia SATA controller.

If you still have the older Mac available then you could import the XP installation via Parallels Transporter, or the equivalent tool in your chosen Virtualisation software. That would sort the entire process out for you.

As for websites - XP is limited to IE8 and that's full of unpatched security holes now. Many sites insist on IE10 or higher now, a prime example being the Google sites.

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

No, you can't.

And Windows 7 won't run well either if your Mac has a retina display, because Windows 7 lacks high DPI display support.

Your only option is Windows 8.1.

There is no such thing as a site that only runs on XP.

9. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Except that his Mac doesn't have a Retina display (double check the first post). Windows 7 would be fine in this instance, but 8.1 would be better because it is currently being supported and runs quite well on "classic" MacBook Pros.

10. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Not to mention that performance on Windows 8.1 is better compared to 7. Besides, 7 no longer receives mainstream support from Microsoft.

11. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 65816

jwolf6589

Oh yes there are job specific sites (applications) that would not run in a Mac browser.

12. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Still, saying that it'll only run in XP is complete BS.

Are you sure that it won't run on IE in Windows 8.1?

13. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Those who advise running XP in a virtual machine are spot-on. I personally prefer VMWare Fusion, but Parallels has its advocates too. Meanwhile VirtualBox is free (www.virtualbox.org) and works very well too.

But do reconsider using XP at all. I do, on occasion, to support customers who are still stupidly using that platform. "Stupidly" because it was never the most secure OS and is growing rapidly less so now that Microsoft has ceased supporting and updating it.

The challenge for you is to get your old Boot Camp instance into your preferred virtualization engine. Several folks here have pointed the way for that. It will take some effort and time.

----------

Not sure where he said that something will run only in XP...

In any case, Microsoft doesn't support XP anymore, so why should Apple? ...It's time to upgrade. Win8.1 is not bad, and the imminent Win10 is really quite impressive.

14. yjchua95 macrumors 604

He edited the post that I quoted.