Purchased used iphone. Can't activate with my SIM

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Horn521, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Horn521 macrumors newbie

I purchased a used iphone 5 for ATT on Craigslist today. When I insert my new SIM card from att and try to set up the phone it asks me for the password to a itunes account of which doesn't belong to me and I don't know the password. How can I activate this phone? Thanks.

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

its the new activation lock on iOS 7. they didn't deactivate and wipe it properly before they sold it to you. you need to ask the previous owner for their password so you can log back into the phone and disable their iCloud account and Find My iPhone. then you can log back into yours.

or the more likely scenario.....

they stole the phone and don't know the password and you are screwed since there is no other way to bypass it. essentially its a paperweight.

its becoming more and more common now since no one realized its implemented and more and more people are getting screwed.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH13695?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

3. Horn521 thread starter macrumors newbie

I will try to contact her for the login. Thanks for your help.

4. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

Either that or ask her to meet up again in person and allow her to do it herself. Most people won't wanna fork over their Apple ID for obvious reasons. If she's legit, she will do it. Just show her the link I showed you and she will hopefully help ya out.

5. tobeornottobe macrumors regular

I thought the seller could easily activate it online through the apple website? If she's legit of course.

6. alexism11 macrumors newbie

you can reset it though itunes, and when you turn it back on after it's done their wont be a password. if you do this everything on your phone will be erased.

7. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

No, it's iOS 7's activation lock. Even if you restore it, you'll still get asked the info.

8. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r