Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FullMetalx117

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Hey everyone! I bought A used Mac Mini i5 2.5ghz during a Cowboom fire sale. On my invoice it is stated thatno OS installed. I'm assuming the hard drive was wiped clean. I've heard that I install Lion through the Internet. Can anyone explain how this process works? Do I just plug in a keyboard and hold down control + R? I have a wireless Logitech keyboard that uses a USB receiver. Should it still work?

Also one small question- do yous recommend me upgrading the ram to 8gb? I'm going to be basically using this for college applications, games like Starcraft! iTunes, browsing, etc.

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
Hey everyone! I bought A used Mac Mini i5 2.5ghz during a Cowboom fire sale. On my invoice it is stated thatno OS installed. I'm assuming the hard drive was wiped clean. I've heard that I install Lion through the Internet. Can anyone explain how this process works? Do I just plug in a keyboard and hold down control + R? I have a wireless Logitech keyboard that uses a USB receiver. Should it still work?

Also one small question- do yous recommend me upgrading the ram to 8gb? I'm going to be basically using this for college applications, games like Starcraft! iTunes, browsing, etc.

How much were you able to purchase it for on the fire sale? I keep missing out!

Yeah do the Internet recovery like you said and it will install the OS. My MBA usually takes around 1-1.5 hours for the recovery. If you can add 8 or 16gb ram it worth it. Also take a look at putting a SSD in and it will make that mini fly.

FullMetalx117

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
How much were you able to purchase it for on the fire sale? I keep missing out!

Yeah do the Internet recovery like you said and it will install the OS. My MBA usually takes around 1-1.5 hours for the recovery. If you can add 8 or 16gb ram it worth it. Also take a look at putting a SSD in and it will make that mini fly.

I was able to buy it for $450. With tack it came out to be around $492 so about $300 less than MSRP. Will the mini still recognize my keyboard since its wireless? Will it install the right drivers? I guess I'm just worried I may have to buy a wired USB keyboard.

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
I was able to buy it for $450. With tack it came out to be around $492 so about $300 less than MSRP. Will the mini still recognize my keyboard since its wireless? Will it install the right drivers? I guess I'm just worried I may have to buy a wired USB keyboard.

Wow that's an awesome price. I need to wait on a deal like that.

If you do not have an OS and the bluetooth keyboard never connected to that machine before (which seem to be your case), you will most likely need a usb keyboard for the initial setup. Maybe you have a usb keyboard from one of the other PCs around the house or from a friend to borrow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.