Purchased Used Macbook & Need Advice on Cleaning & Updating

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DJ N4Red, Dec 5, 2009.

1. DJ N4Red macrumors newbie

Hi, I am new to this Forum as well as Macs in general :). I purchased a used Macbook (2006) from a friend of mine and it still has his Username, Documents, and Preferences. How should I go about cleaning and resetting my computer back to factory settings and disk space? Also, what are some applications the forum recommends that I install? Okay, last question, the used Mac that I purchased is the White Plastic model and, unfortunately, it is kind of dirty. What should I use to clean the outside and inside?

Thanks to everyone for their time and help in advance,
    DJ

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Pop the OSX disks into the disk tray, restart and follow the instructions to erase all his stuff.

Applications wise, depending on your need I would go with VLC and adium as a must. If you search the forums, many people have suggested good applications.

3. DJ N4Red thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately, the friend that I purchased the Macbook from did not have the OS X disk to give me. So, how do I reboot my computer now that I don't have the OS X disk?

As for the applications, thanks for the tips. I'm going to DL and install VLC and Adium as soon as I reboot. I will also search this Forum for more tips on applications.

Thanks,
    DJ

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You'll need to get the disks from him, or buy new disks. Even if you don't reinstall now, sooner or later something will go wrong and you'll need them to fix the system.

If you buy a new copy of Snow Leopard, it'll be able to do everything the original disks could.