Purchases/Syncing/iPhone remote/Heat questions

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by BOSS10L, Sep 7, 2008.

1. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

Hey all, we got our :apple:TV about a week ago, and so far we love it. We are very close to canceling DirecTV and going with just local stations/:apple:TV. I'm still learning the ins-and-outs of this fine little unit, but I have the following questions if you don't mind helping me. :)

Purchases:
    - My wife and I considered renting a movie last night but decided against it and watched one of our DVDs instead. The reason being that I've heard that once a movie rental starts, the 24-hour clock begins ticking. When we rent a movie, does it automatically begin playing, or do we, the purchaser have the option of waiting for a little bit before we start it? It would be nice to rent a movie at say, noon, let it DL completely, and watch it once the kids have gone to bed around 8pm.

Syncing:
    - When we purchased the :apple:TV, we synced it with my iTunes account, on my user account on our iMac. My wife wants to get her music to play through the :apple:TV when she's working out. Is it possible to sync the :apple:TV to more than one iTunes account, or will I have to burn her music and import it into my account as well? What about iPhoto as well?

iPhone remote:
    - My only real complaint about the :apple:TV is the horrible little remote that comes with it. Sure, it is functional, but when an iPhone is available, I don't see why anyone would use the other remote. Ok, so I installed the Remote app on my iPhone, started it up, and it gives me the 4-digit code to allow my iPhone to control the :apple:TV. I followed the directions on my iPhone, but it didn't work. Do I need to enter that code into iTunes, or on the :apple:TV itself?

Heat:
    - I've left the :apple:TV plugged in when not in use, and it gets quite warm. Not burn yourself hot, but I was surprised at the heat it was emitting. Is this normal? Any ideas about how to cool this puppy down? I keep it well-ventilated, I'm just nervous.

As always, thanks!

2. BOSS10L thread starter macrumors 6502a

Anyone? Maybe even just point me in the right direction?

3. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

I guess a little searching could go a long way for you here, but I guess if you really want all your answers in one place...

1.) The clock starts ticking when you begin watching, not when you start downloading. Yay!

2.) Yes you can access more than one account. Also you can use your appletv as an airtunes client which will get you a similar result.

3.) You need to pair each device with your iphone. Follow the instructions, then choose the library you want to control from your iphone. As mentioned previously you can also choose which device to output the music from, so you can output your itunes library through your appletv, or your separate airtunes speakers, but not your iphone (as of Monday 8th September. who knows what tomorrow may bring!)

4.) Yes it does get quite warm doesn't it! Still havnt heard of anyones house burning down yet. Yes! Keep it well ventilated.

Hope all this helps, if these answers arnt comprehensive enough for you, you can always try the search ;)

4. BOSS10L thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you very much for your response. I did try searching, but I guess I was using incorrect terms. :confused: At any rate, thanks again. :)

5. screwforeignoil macrumors newbie

Purchases/Syncing/iPhone remote/Heat questions

Just a little resolution on the Apple TV:

Purchases - The 24 hour clock doesn't start until you start the movie, but the 30 day clock starts as soon as you start downloading it. I had a movie that I downloaded and forgot until the 29th day!

Syncing - you can access a lot of accounts, but only SYNC one. However, you can change the account with which it syncs.

Heat - Yup, its a hot potato. But it doesn't use fans, so the heat is deceptive. The aluminum ring that makes up the sides is actually a heat sink.