Purchasing 12" iBook today. Dumb idea???

WolfgangK

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2005
49
0
I've been waiting for a couple of months to purshase the 12" iBook. I've been holding off, as updates to the line were pretty widely expected. Well, I have decided to order one...before I one click one of little tykes to my door, I thought I'd check and see if the consensus was that this is a dumb idea. I am a little paranoid, as last week we had PM updates, today iMac updates...am I going to get the big shaft with an iBook update next Tues.?

Even if they do update next Tues., how much could it hurt? At most, we're talking about a slight speed increase, maybe a GPU(this one would hurt a little) update? Really, I don't intend to be playing Doom or anything on this little guy, maybe some Warcraft III, Sims 2(if not too demanding), original UT...so the 32mb 9200 wouldn't be sooooo bad. I'm not going to miss the Core image stuff I don't think(done by CPU anyway, in most cases...)

On top of that...I was thinking it might be a good idea to order one now, while it comes with Panther, iLife '05...until the first Tiger update...might be nice to just use it running Panther for a while and avoid some of these little Tiger bugs. I'll get Tiger tossed in the box, so if I do want to install it, no problem.

I plan to stick 1gb RAM in right off the bat...and right now my main machine is a B&W G3, which is still performing my art and design needs admirably...so although the specs may get updated soon(hopefully not next week!), the 1.2G4 and 32mb vram will still be a huge step up in performance for me.

Just curious for others' comments...I know some of you are playing the iBook-waiting game like me...but I've gotta come up for air!

edit- a few thoughts...If an update was really so imminent, doesn't it figure that the iBooks would have gotten an update today with the rest of the consumer machines?

And it looks as though iBooks are now shipping with Tiger. (which was the original reason I was waiting to order one way-back-when)
 

_pb_boi

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2004
382
0
Personally, I'd be annoyed. But maybe I can share my own experience.

I bought a Powerbook 12in (see sig) last April (ie year before last) knowing updates were due any day. I didn't have a choice though, as I was in NYC and the dollar - pound exchange rate meant I saved loads. So I bought it.

6 days later, I'm sitting at home and I check macrumors - the new 1.33 model had just been released. I was SO gutted... for a few hours.

Then I realised who cares? I had a great machine, it served my needs, and aesthetically, there was absolutely no difference.

If your iBook suits ya, don't worry about it. Personally, I wudda waited the extra week or two, though.

andy.
 

WolfgangK

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2005
49
0
I am still toying with the idea of waiting an extra week or two(probably one at the most!!!) but I've been saying that for the past month! :)

I would be a little annoyed if it was to update a week later. but at the same time like you said, it will do everything that I need and want it to do. What would annoy me would be not getting the most value for my $. But in the electronics/hardware game that's always like trying to jump on a moving train.
 

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
1,929
1
USA! USA!
The main thing is that if you buy one now it will only have 32 MB of VRAM. The new ones will likely have 64 MB (the emacs updated today now have 64 MB VRAM). As you know, 64 MB is required for core image.

You say you don't care about core image, but you can't know that yet because many apps have not utilized it yet. But that will change. Personally, I would not buy a new mac with less than 64 MB VRAM.

The OS is a thing of beauty and you don't want the animation to be choppy here and there. My .02
 

plinden

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2004
3,969
3
If you order now, you'll probably get it within a week. You could just leave it unopened until next Tuesday and send it back if there's an update.

And isn't there a 10 day replacement and/or money back guarantee?
 

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
1,804
5
UK
I'd wait a week or two aswell.... As a previous poster said, I would be a little reluctant to pic up a Mac without a 64mb card now - im hoping too, that the next iBook revision will have one like the new eMacs. I think core image is going to be much more important than many realise. There have been several rumours, rather vague admitedley about possible iBook updates coming in May. :)
 

Danzsupreme

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2005
43
0
I'm with you on this one I waited for a 14" ibook, but i woke up this morning looking at all the updates and saw that the ibooks are back to same day shipping and just decided why dont i just get the 12" powerbook. With the powerbook your getting everything you waited for in the ibook changes witht he benefit of adding a duel monitor.
 

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
616
0
mcarnes said:
The main thing is that if you buy one now it will only have 32 MB of VRAM. The new ones will likely have 64 MB (the emacs updated today now have 64 MB VRAM). As you know, 64 MB is required for core image.
[snip]
Just a note, not born of my own technical knowledge, but just my understanding of what I have read here and on Apple's page: CI does not require any set number of MB, it is GPU-dependent. It is the 9200's fault, not the fact that it only has 32 MB VRAM. An upgraded GPU (such as the Go5200 or the 9700) is needed.

The lack of VRAM is more important for wanting to be able to drive an external screen, for example, or so I hear.

As for the general topic of this thread, waiting is always possible, and something better is always coming. Yes, I do agree iBooks should be upgraded before too long, but since none of us know exactly when, just buy when you want/need it. If you can wait, then maybe you don't need it now, but if you need it now, buy it now. Also, maybe look at rev. C PBs on closeout-- this one gets you more computer than the current base iBook, for the same price (less when similarly configured, note also the $100 rebate). But if it doesn't come with Tiger, that's unfortunate.
 

finalcoolman

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
254
0
Same boat as you, the waiting game that is. But getting one now? Lets see here, ripped off, suckered, just some words I can think of.
 

aintnohalfstppn

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2005
9
0
Danzsupreme said:
I'm with you on this one I waited for a 14" ibook, but i woke up this morning looking at all the updates and saw that the ibooks are back to same day shipping and just decided why dont i just get the 12" powerbook. With the powerbook your getting everything you waited for in the ibook changes witht he benefit of adding a duel monitor.
I did the same thing. I debated waiting for ibook updates, but gave in and bought a 12" powerbook. I was just expecting 10% off with my old student id, but it turned out I got $200 off!(it was the base model listed at $1499).
 

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
2,126
1
Indiana
I would wait. When I bought my first mac it was October 2003. Right after I bought the G4 iBook came out and I was PISSED! I would consider buying an ibook if they would make it support output to an external monitor in a fashion similar to the powerbook. The hack just does not satisfy me considering I have a 20" display and 16MB VRAM (afer it gets split in 2) is just not enough. If iBook updates with 64MB VRAM (which it wil) and it actually supports monitor spanning by apple then I would seriously consider buying.... but I doubt they will do that since it would basically close the gap between the iBook and the very very outdated technology of the powerbook.
 

WolfgangK

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2005
49
0
Ya, I've thought about the Powerbook...for mainly $ reasons I am trying to stay with the iBook. If this was going to be my main machine, I'd get a 15" Powerbook.

I also prefer the durability of the iBook's case, and the better wireless reception is attractive for me. I will probably wait another week or two. It's exhausting having had said that for many many weeks in a row though, as some of you already know.
 

guichard

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2005
11
0
Manchester, England
Know how you feel

WolfgangK,

I am waiting to purchase a 12" iBook, which will be my first mac at home (currently have a Sony Vaio desktop PC). I needed a laptop and looked into Macs. Having read threads on Macrumors (and other sites) I do not want to purchase a model which may be replaced any day (or not) with one with a higher spec. I am resigned to playing the waiting game and hoping for 512mb and 64mb GPU. As soon as it is released I will be purchasing, until then I will be watching Apple store online and Macrumors for updates. Come on Apple, you know you want my money. :)

Rob
 

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
1,610
0
I'd wait for the graphics card alone. The iBook design is getting stale, you'd be pretty pissed if the next revision was a ratical redesign for sure... just my $0.02 (not to mention your older model will be worth less).
 

shane-o-mac

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2005
130
0
I am looking forward to the new ibooks! I am not in the same boat as in I do not need a computer that badly, just got a new 15" powerbook a couple months ago, but I would love to pick up an ibook cheap once the new releases come out as a computer to lug around campus and on flights. For all our sakes I am betting ibook updates are no less then a month away. Wait and you will be rewarded. I waited four months for the powerbook updates and they were worth it!
 

Cue

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2005
218
0
Edinburgh, UK
WolfgangK, if at the present time your current machine does not hold your work back then I see no reason to update asap.

On the other hand if you desperately need a new one to cope with the workload and the current ibook spec satisfies your needs, then do so right now and don't wait. (ok maybe a week as others have stated)

In case an update does come out later on, it shouldn't matter. (even though its a bugger)
 

WolfgangK

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2005
49
0
I was able to resist...

I didn't order an iBook today, thanks to the sound of advice of you all. It is the right thing to to do wait a week or so and see what happens. I do sorely want a better GPU in the 'book...

And it's not a "need today" kind of thing. So I can wait. The one thing I really want this thing for, is to create movies and DVDs. We had a baby 5 mo. ago, and I've been filling up mini dvd tapes with video, that I am dying to create a DVD with to send grandparents who are a few states away, and don't see the little guy very often.

Unfortunately, my G3 won't run, or even install iDVD. So I am sorely wanting this machine to do all that in particular. In the meantime I may have to bug my friend who's got a Powerbook G4 to use his iDVD program. I am just itching to be able to do it all myself, on my own machine, on my own time, and get these DVD's in the mail to family and friends.

I know Apple doesn't care, but come on. Update this thing and help a new father out!!! It would kill me if the damn thing updated a week later, but I don't know if I can wait for WWDC.
 

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
13,590
141
Bergen, Norway
Chrispy said:
I would wait. When I bought my first mac it was October 2003. Right after I bought the G4 iBook came out and I was PISSED! I would consider buying an ibook if they would make it support output to an external monitor in a fashion similar to the powerbook. The hack just does not satisfy me considering I have a 20" display and 16MB VRAM (afer it gets split in 2) is just not enough. If iBook updates with 64MB VRAM (which it wil) and it actually supports monitor spanning by apple then I would seriously consider buying.... but I doubt they will do that since it would basically close the gap between the iBook and the very very outdated technology of the powerbook.
It seems like you should be looking at the 12" PowerBook and not the iBooks... because I think your doubts are correct: even if the next rev probably will have 64 MB VRAM, I don't think they will support screen spanning (without some sort of firmware hack), because that is one of the main differences between the 'Books... and the price difference is not that great...

On a side note, there is a chance that the base iBook still will come with only 256 MB RAM (and not be moved to 512). Just look at the base eMac introduced yesterday, they kept that at 256... Not necessarily a bad thing as you can upgrade with much cheaper 3rd party RAM without having to waste on 256 chip...

And to the original poster, as Buyer's guide usually says: Buy the iBook now, "only if you need it". I would wait a couple of weeks...
 

weg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
888
0
nj
WolfgangK said:
I plan to stick 1gb RAM in right off the bat...and right now my main machine is a B&W G3, which is still performing my art and design needs admirably...so although the specs may get updated soon(hopefully not next week!), the 1.2G4 and 32mb vram will still be a huge step up in performance for me.
Don't buy a BTO iBook. If it gets updated next week, you can send it back and order the new iBook. If it doesn't, get 1GB RAM from Crucial.
 

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
1,740
0
Cardiff, Wales
I'd wait.. i think apple are on an 'Update every tuesday until WWDC mode' At least wait until 6th June for WWDC. If you really need one... go ahead.
 

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
4,014
313
.. London ..
I've just brought an iBook!

I've just brought an iBook! But it was a second hand one (from Loot website)

I already have a lovely 1.5GHZ 15'' PB which I use mainly as a home/ office/ presentation machine but the girlfriend wanted a laptop to replace her CRT iMac.

After a bit of looking, I found a sweet 12'' 700 MHZ ice iBook for £350 (half the price of a new iBook)

After using it I'm seriously thinking of buying my own second hand iBook 12'' as a second / spare computer for me.

The 12'' iBook is decidedly sweet and a perfect size for using on the move, for coffee shops, buses, trains and on the tube, without the expense, size, flashiness and worry of theft of the new 15'' PB (which cost me 4x more!)

As you're used to a B&W powermac, why not simply buy a second hand iBook?

- it will do everything that the B&W did, and keep you going until Apple release your dream machine. At that point, you can either sell the old ibook for pretty near what you paid for it, or keep it as a travel / backup machine..

xoxo Tomato